Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imsurroundedbyfish Posts: 101, Reputation: 10

Feb 8, 2011, 10:41 AM
    Irrational Fear needs solving FAST
    I have an irrational fear of extractor fans, and have done since a very young age (5 or 6?) I don't know how I acquired this phobia and I don't know exactly what it is about them that creeps me out. It isn't what they do or what they are and I know they can't hurt me. I
    t's just something about the grid on them, and the darkness behind that grid, that makes me shudder and creep out for no reason. Especially when they are on and making a noise.
    I'm also afraid of swimming pool filters and air vents, just because they look like extractor fans.

Everyone in my family knows about this, but my mum has just had our bathroom redone and has had an extractor fan installed. I need to use this bathroom to wash my hair, there is no other way of me washing my hair (except the bath but it doesn't work really it doesn't and it's really hard as well).
    My Mum tells me I need to have the fan turned on when I am in the shower, and the other day I tried to have a shower in there. Whilst she was showing me how to work the shower, the fan was on and I was having to work not to scream and run out the room, I felt really faint.

I know this fear can't be solved over night but I really need somebody to please suggest a way I can at least begin to get over this fear!
    KiraKent Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2013, 03:53 PM
    I have the same fear, in sixteen at the moment and I have had the fear ever since I was about three. It started at a swimming pool with the filters and jets that nearly caused me to drown. ( in short: I was very small just touching the bottom when I walk past a jet that knocks me of my feet and makes me go under to then land on one of the big grates) in time I got over the initial fear of air vents and most pool filters. But some still creep the scrap out of me. I am still however petrified of the extractor fans found in bathrooms and have never really been able to come to terms with the nature of my fear.
    The only advice I can offer is that the phobia bay subside in time, or just become less traumatic if never fully going. It's good to know that I'm no the only one in the situation, I always thought I was alone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Irrational fear of fainting. [ 5 Answers ]

Dear readers, My name is Jennifer. For the last five years, I have suffered from a highly irrational fear of fainting. It has resulted in anxiety and it is to the point where I have trouble leaving my bed, not to mention my home. I am eighteen years old and it is time in my life to be leaving home...

Am I being irrational? [ 19 Answers ]

Threads merged and edited. My boyfriend is the kind of person who likes to help people, people open up to him and he likes being there for people. He just recently started texting my sister a good bit. I am 100% sure that he's not cheating on me or that he's into her. I know he's not. But when...

Irrational fear? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am currently 17 weeks pregnant and really struggling. I have a fear (and it really does feel like that) of catching toxoplasmosis. I am pretty careful and have been tested a few weeks ago (negative) but I can't shake the fear I feel about it. I have two questions really, the...

Am I being irrational? [ 4 Answers ]

Here's the deal... My boyfriend and I have been together for about a year. I am 22 and he is 26. I just moved in with him for the summer until I go back to school in the fall. Until now, we have been doing the long distance thing our entire relationship. We have had some issues in the...

View more questions Search