Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    airkiss7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2011, 10:01 PM
    My exwife is the primary cardholder on her credit cards and I am a joint card holder
    I didn't hire a lawyer when we divorced, I was stupid and trusted her, now she has financial problems and the credit card companies are hounding me, is there a form available that I can fill out to send to her to have me removed from her credit cards?
    absolvedps Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2011, 10:57 PM

First thing u can try is call those credit card comp's and ask how you can do that? U may have to get the x-wife to do it. If all fails, U will have to get an attorney to take care of this for u.
    In the meantime however, If your credit means anything to you, U will need to continue making the payments if the x-wife does not so u can aviod any more damage on your record. Find out if there is any credit line still available on the cards? IOf so, go get the funds and max them out. Then u have 2 choices. Use the money to make the payments or just keep it and stop paying the bills.
    As far as the credit companies hounding you, simply change your phone number. Get a Cell phone, Not a land line. They will probably still chase after u through the mail system, but so what. Throw those letters away. There is more u can do, But that will require a lengthy discussion. We would have to talk privately in order to get a game plan together for you.
    Get a new address also if possible.
    Anything u do from now on, U do NOT give out that info to anyone.
    Stay low and be careful giving info out. The credit cards will stop hounding you after awhile. But even if they do, If they do NOT get payments, they will write off the debt. Then you are stuck with those debt collectors who will attempt to collect payment. As far as they are concerned, U never pay them! Don't even talk to them. Never ever identify yourself when u answer any phone calls coming from a phone number u do NOT know. Best thing is simply do NOT answer the calls. Just let it ring and they will go away after while. U will need to lay low for at least 6 years, then the issue will be at rest. Any new credit you may establish u need to keep current. My advice-- DO NOT attempt to get any new credit anywhere for the 6 years ahead of you. If u do, U are making your information public again and any creditors could find you again and then the process starts over again. Trick is simply to get lost for 6 years and avoid all the problems. Debt collectors have no right to collect anything from anybody. They do NOT own the debt. They did not extend you anything. They will lie to you and saything. All they want is 30% of the bill and then they go away. Then the Next bill collector picks up on the bill and they also will try to get your money. AFter that, another will show up and then another and another. It never goes away really. They are crooks. Avoid them all! Never give out your social security number to anyone either. Even Job applications, Doctors etc. Never give this number out. You can be traced if this happens. Just hang in there and one day things will get better. There are more things u can do, But like I said, we would have to talk.Ok. Take Care and I wish u well.
    PS. One thing u do NOT need to do is Attempt bankruptcy. Don't waste your time or money on that route. Even if u win your case, U still lose. 10 yrs of that being on your record. Just isn't worth it.
    Keep 2 Bank accounts. 1 account with absolute minimal balance in it. Second account for your actual usage. If u do pay any bills, pay them from your first account. Second account for your daily living expenses such as food or whatever. U must keep the accounts separated. This is for good reason. Any cridtor or deby collector can serve a freeze on your account and keep the money in it frozen for a long time. This is a Feeble attempt on their part to try and collect a debt they have no right to in the first place. They can only do this to an account they have the number for. All checks have an account number on them. They can all be traced.
    As you can see, this can go on and on. Lengthy. Ok. Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 8, 2011, 04:48 AM

No, the credit card companies will not remove a signator. The only way this can be done is to close the account and reopen new ones.

What I would suggest is that you get an attorney to write letters to all the cards you are still on and point out that your divorce was effective on x date and you are not responsible for any debts incurred after that date. You may also have to publish a legal notice in your local newspaper stating that you are not responsible for any debts incurred after the date of the divorce. An attorney can tell you how effective this tactic will be.
    airkiss7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 05:34 AM
    Hmmm, makes very good sense.. I will guide my actions accordingly, thank you and MUCH APPRECIATED.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which credit card companies use equifax or transunion or both for credit cards? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to establish credit on my own. I have tried with experian and have 10 hard hits got turned down because of insufficient credit historty and to many recent inquires. My equifax score is 787 My transunion is 770. My problem is I am new to credit and my present accounts are permissive user...

Can my friend remove me from secondary card holder to primary in any case [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible that the primary card holder can sign over the credit card to the secondary card holder,I would take full responsibility for all payments I have never been late with any payments. What can she do to help me be the primary card holder,is there any legal steps we can take?

Removing ex-wife from credit card who is a primary holder [ 3 Answers ]

I divorced my wife 7 years ago, but have been using joint credit cards which was opened while we were married. Ex-wife is the primary credit card holder and has never used the card since the divorce. I have been using the card for the past 5 years after the divorce and she is now asking to have...

Death of Primary Cardholder - Continued use by authorized user [ 1 Answers ]

My father died and was primary cardholder of a credit card. My mother was an authorized user on the account. Can she legally continue to use the credit card as long as she continues to make payments? Can she call company and move herself into position as primary cardholder? She's mostly...

Primary signer vs secondary card holder [ 7 Answers ]

I opened a credit card, me being the primary signer, and I basically allowed them to put my girlfirneds NAME onto another credit card, which would be the secondary card holder.. not CO-SIGNER on the credit account.. She made zero chares, and I maxed out the credit card and was unable to pay...

View more questions Search