Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cburgin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2011, 04:12 PM
    Are gold crowns supposed to be filed with a drill?
    The dentist had taken my gold crown off to pull one of my wisdom teeth and since the swelling has gone down a bit I noticed my bite was off so I went back in today and they used a drill to file the crown down.. (it was a dental asst. that did it) now it is all scratchy and I thought they would take it off and re-cement it back into the right place, the crown was fine before, but they filed the crown down instead... to me it would seem like it would compromise the integrity of the crown... is this normal that they would file down a gold crown?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2011, 04:21 PM
    They probably used a rotary bit in the drill, not a drill bit. Have them polish the crown with an abrasive polisher.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2011, 05:02 AM
    It is not uncommon for gold crowns to be adjusted with a drill. What I find surprising is that the dental assistant did it. As far as I know, it's illegal for a dental assistant or even a dental hygienist to do anything with anyone's bite. It would depend on where you are located I suppose. The crown should definitely have been polished after being adjusted to return the smoothness. I've also never heard of a crown being removed in order to extract the tooth beside it?? :confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drill baby drill [ 13 Answers ]

Remember when candidate Obama campaigned against off shore oil drilling ? The Early Word: Drill, Obama, Drill - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com And another one's gone ;another one bites the dust.....(Queen) Under the President's new plan 167 million acres of the Atlantic coast, would be...

What kind of drill do I need to use to drill holes for 1 1/2" pvc plumbing. [ 6 Answers ]

I'm running 1 1/2" pvc for a basement bathroom vanity and a wet bar. Do I need to get a Forstner bit or is just a regular hole saw best for drilling my 2x6 wall studs? Also, is 2" the correct size, or should I go to 2 1/8" or 2 1/4".

Full Cast Gold Crowns! [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I'd like to know if anyone can tell me the best brand name high noble gold caps that I may purchase to replace my old porcelain bridge. I have a broshure for occlusalgold by golden gate system I'd like to know more about, it is yellow gold. Thank you. Philly

Gold crowns [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to remove a gold crown at home, if so... How? I am currently not insured, but I relly need this crown removed.

View more questions Search