Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taxchen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2011, 02:01 PM
    American opportunity credit
    My daughter got $20,000 scholarship to cover her full tuition.she had another $500 local scholarship. She spent $1000 on textbook.She also have $2000 income for a job. My question is Should I deduct $500 from $1000,only use $500 to claim the credit,or I can combine $500 scholarship with $2000 income as her total income?

Check out some similar questions!

American Opportunity Tax Credit [ 18 Answers ]

I am on OPT and I do have graduated in December 2009 and stayed in US(2009) more than six months and I am from India. I heard about the American Opportunity Tax Credit. One of my friend said that he applied for this credit and got the credit for the year. He filed it using 1040X. Now my question am...

American opportunity tax credit [ 1 Answers ]

My son is in his first year of college. We claim him as a dependent, but his student loans are in his name with my husband as a co-signer. We are paying on the loans as much as we can while he is in school. We did the student loans rather than the parent loans so that we could pay if we were able...

American oppurtunity Credit [ 1 Answers ]

As an international student am I eligible for American Opportunity Credit benefit while filing my returns? I do have an income for the year 2010-2011 by working as an Intern. If I am eligible how much can I claim, some sources says its as high as $2500, is this true. My income currently is...

F1 student stock investment american opportunity [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Tax Expert, please help. I am an F1 student since 2007. I worked in 2009 on OPT and had capital gain from stock market in 2009. I am back to college from Sep 2009 to now. Question, 1. Am I eligible for american opportunity credit? 2. If yes, will it affect my green card process...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.