Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    burtroy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2011, 12:30 PM
    Commercial Real Estate Question
    My daughter deposits her check in the local office mail slot of her landlord. The checks are dated and delivered the first of each month, however, the landlords' agent does not either pick them up or deposit them immediately. Now my daughter is being assessed late fees for rental checks delivered on time.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2011, 12:37 PM

Does she have PROOF that "they" (I am "guessing" this has happened more than once) were delivered to the office on time?

Dropping checks into a mail slot is a dangerous practice - or so she has learned.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 7, 2011, 02:11 PM
    All commercial real estate issues are controlled by the terms of the lease. What does the lease say about delivery of the rent to the landlord? Does it specifically state that the tenant is to deposit the check in the mail slot on the first of the month? If it does then tell your daughter to fight the late fees.

If the lease states that the rent is to be mailed to the landlord then your daughter may have a hard time fighting it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 7, 2011, 04:31 PM

Is this really a commercial property? I would imagine its rare that a commercial property would have payments made through a mail slot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Escrow deposit, reasons for default, Texas commercial real estate law [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any defining jurisprudence on where the law stands on Commercial Real Estate Escrow Deposit, and the default thereof, in Texas? Is its basis established around Liquidated Damages or the letter of the contract? I have been involved in a rat's nest of an experience, with an REO property. ...

The question is about city group/commercial real estate and gm [ 1 Answers ]

I have some shares in citi group or city group. They have filed for bankruptcy, they are coming back to market again for $ 30.00 /share. Do the old shares worth anything? I also have some GM shares should I sell or keep it. Would they honor the old shares when they come back in Nov.

Commercial Real Estate Georgia Seller PropertyDisclosure Law [ 1 Answers ]

Would like to know if Seller's lack of disclosure of a previous flooding problem can void our contract. Would like to get out of it because they were a little underhanded and we could not raise enough funds because doing the process the economy changed. ...

Commercial Real Estate Purchase Agreement [ 1 Answers ]

If a buyer enters into a seller using a standard AIR agreement to purchase a commercial building in California, I was wondering the following: If all the contingencies of the contract are fine (meaning the buyer has no objections with them in particular), but the escrow period has not yet...

Commercial real estate q [ 15 Answers ]

We (my partners and I) are trying to buy a comercial building. We had a signed lease with an option to buy. When we were trying to purchase it the lease expired. We had a signed purchase agreement so we weren't too worried because we thought we would own it. We paid a whole lot of $ out of our...

View more questions Search