Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suzisu Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2011, 10:01 AM
    maths

I'm stuck here don't have a clue what to do. I've read all my school textbooks but it doesn't make much sense! The numbers after the letters are small figures as in they u3 meaning( u x u x u). Ta!

Factorise the expression
    5 u3v +15 uv2-10v
    taking out the highest common factor. Choose the expression that remains in brackets when this is done.
    Select one:
    u 3 + 3 uv − 10 
    u 3 + 3 uv − 2
    u 3 + 15 uv − 2 
    u 3 + 3 uv 2 − 2 
    u 3v + 3 uv − 2 
    5 u 3 + 3 uv − 2 
    u 3v + 3 uv 2 − 2 v 
    5 u 3 + 15 uv − 10 

ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 7, 2011, 10:21 AM

The convention we use for power is the carat symbol: ^. Thus "5^3" means 5 x 5 x 5. Your equation is therefore : 5u^3v +15uv^2 -10v.

Also, it looks like you tried to cut and paste characters from a document program such as Word - but unfortunately that doesn't work well on this site, as you can see.

But to help with your question - note that each term has a common factor of 5v. Divide through by 5v and you get:

5v(u^3+3u-2)
    suzisu Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 04:01 AM
    Great thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maths [ 2 Answers ]

In the diagram, ADC is a straight line and BFC is a straight line. CDEF is a rectangle. EF = 4cm and ED = 5 cm. <DAE = 20 degrees and <EBF = 30 degrees. Calculate the length in cm of 1. BF. 2. AB

Maths [ 1 Answers ]

Well cut the story short, I hate maths and I have an exam next week and because I hate it I haven't been doing well but last year I was getting level 6 and 7, but we did a practice exam and I got a level 4! HEEELLPPP!

Maths [ 1 Answers ]

A factory produces 2 types of component a and b. The profit for each component of type a is £3.50 and of type b is £6.50. In a given week 1,440 components are sold making a total profit of £6 840. How many components of each type were sold in that week?

Maths [ 7 Answers ]

A man sets out from an oasis to walk acorss the desert to a town which is 55 km due north. Unfortuanately, there is a mountain that he must walk around the reach the town. On the first day walks 20 km on a bearing of 340 degrees. On the second day he walks another 20 km on a bearing of 20 degrees....

Maths [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have problem with this question. Hope you can find a solution for this question. Philip, the proprietor of a vineyard, estimates at the first 10000 bottles of wine produce this season will fetch a profit of $5 per bottle. However, the profit from each bottle beyond 10000 drop by $0.0002...

View more questions Search