Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suzannejohn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2011, 09:38 AM
    Am I entitled to anything?
    We have lived together in Ontario Canada for 5 years. The house we live in is in his name and he pays the mortgage. However I pay for the phone and long distance, the TV, the Internet, the water bill and half the groceries. I have paid for several renovation projects, painting, new light fixtures, new closet doors, etc. We both work full time, he makes one third again as much as I do. As he is self employed, I do all his record keeping and prepare the paperwork for his taxes. We have no joint accounts, we own nothing jointly, his financial sercurity increases yearly, as I just try to make ends meet. I do the majority of the cooking, 90 % of the housework, I put in and maintain the gardens, etc. If we split, will I be entitled to anything?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 7, 2011, 09:46 AM

If you aren't married you won't get anything.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 7, 2011, 10:07 AM

No lawyer here but since you two have no joint accounts or joint ownership in anything I don't see you getting anything. Are you asking us if he should give you part of his earnings?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2011, 10:12 AM

You are not automatically entitled to anything because you are not married BUT I would argue that your time, money, energy ENHANCED the value of his property.

In this economy it might be difficult to prove. In a perfect World his house was worth $X when you moved in and now is worth more because of your work. However, if property values fell you have nothing for proof.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I entitled to redundancy? [ 12 Answers ]

After 10 years' of two-days-a-week employment on a permanent contract the company I was working for cut my working hours and salary by half. Unable to continue on half the salary, they found me another (full-time) job within the company. This job was a 9-month fixed maternity cover contract and I...

What am I entitled to in divorce in ga [ 2 Answers ]

What am I entitled to though we have only been married a little over a year? What am I entitled to in a divorce in ga that my husband wants but I don't? We have only been married a little over a year? My husband wants a divorce. He has been verbally abusive at times, but I still love him....

What he is entitled to [ 6 Answers ]

Hi my mother inlaw has been divorced for about 23yrs... she has been with her new partner for about 20yrs... she recently passed away. Her will says that the house belongs entirely to her boys. My question, is her partner entitled to half the house although her will says no. Please note that we...

If she's with him, what am I entitled to? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question concerning my separation and divorce proceedings. In march of 2007 my wife asked that I move out of our apartment, which I did under the impression that she needed a break and wanted some time to herself. Within 30 days I received a phone call from her asked that I remove...

Am I entitled to rent? [ 11 Answers ]

I had a house I co-owned with a friend. I bought his half and the house is now in my name only and my wife and I are living there. My friend and I had agreed that we would get an appraisal and I would then pay him an amount equal to half the equity. He would then sign a quit claim deed, signing the...

View more questions Search