Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SuzanneMorchin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 03:37 PM
    Armstrong Ultra sx 80, pilot light lit, but heater doesn't turn on
    We have a propane heater. We have propane in the tank. There is air blowing through the vents, but there is no heat. Usually, there is a clicking sound in the thermostat, a whumph sound in the heater and the heat comes on. Now there is no clicking sound and no whumph. Consequently, no heat. My husband and I went out to the heater room and he showed me where the pilot light was on. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Suzanne
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Armstrong ultra 80's often had what is called a honeywell smart valve, it uses a small, 24 volt, hot surface ignitor to light the pilot light. There is a small metal rod in the pilot flame that must pass current through the pilot flame before it will turn on the main burners. You can try to clean that flame sensor, very carfully, it's not that easy to do, and not break the ignitor. If that doesn't work you will probably need a new smart valve. They are quite expensive and I have seen many problems with them. Then again this might not be your type of ignition system at all.
    Good Luck

Jan 16, 2007, 09:52 PM
    Dear Northern Heat,

Thank you for your reply. We now have additional observations. Late this afternoon, my husband went out to check the heater and he said that it was running properly. The house did start to heat up. Now it is evening again and the temperature is dropping again. Is there something that could be failing as the ambient temperature drops?

We are in Western Washington and have had snow on the ground for several days. It's been very cold outside since this problem has developed. The heater is in a little, unheated room on the outside of the house. It's attached to the house, but there is no access from inside the house. It shares the room with a Space-Gard air unit and a propane hot water heater.

We have never had to do our out heater maintenance. Assuming that the problem is as you have described above, would the wisest course be in contacting a professional?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2007, 03:48 PM
    Yes, they can clean or replace the sensor, you should get a guarantee, if this is an intermittant problem the service tech may have problems finding the cause since it is hard to fix something that is working.

Jan 17, 2007, 04:03 PM
    Too true. I once workined a computer repair shop. The techs absolutely hated the intermittent problems because they had to figure out how to make the unit fail before they could diagnose and fix it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater pilot light will not stay lit [ 43 Answers ]

The pilot light on my gas water heater will not stay lit. I can light the pilot light, but when I release the valve, it goes out.

My pilot light won't stay lit [ 6 Answers ]

Help,I have two problems.. My upstairs furnace pilot light will light,and after holding down the pilot button for about 3-4 minutes(it says one minute,but it won't stay lit after only one)it stays,but will go out again in a day or two... The furnace for the downstairs won't light at all.. I can't...

Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out? [ 5 Answers ]

My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would...

Armstrong Ultra V [ 1 Answers ]

Armstrong Air Ultra V, 4 yrs old: Problem: *Igniter comes on with bright red/blue flame *Burners then come on *Fan blower comes on *Shortly after blower comes on, burners go out, and blower continues to run *Igniter comes back on *Burners then come back on *Then Burners go out again...

Pilot light turns off when I turn my heater off [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Hope someone can help with this problem I've been having with my heater. I have a Day & Night heater and whenever I turn the heater off, the pilot light goes off and I have to manually light the pilot each time. Any clues on what could be the problem? Thanks for any help!

View more questions Search