Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clegault Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2011, 01:34 AM
    Can my employer require me to pay for my passport to take a trip for them?
    Other than it's clearly not right to ask an employee to pay to do their job, do I have any legal ground to stand on? I live in the US in the state of Georgia. I was asked to go on this trip, and I said I would need a passport. I was told it's OK, we will cover it (not in writing). Once I paid and sent the forms off I was told it's company policy that you have to cover your passport fees, they would only cover the expedite fees. Well, now it's too late for me to say I won't go because everything is set and paid for now. Anything I can do?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 6, 2011, 01:41 AM

I'm not sure you can force them to pay.

I'm going to try to give you an example. My husband is a machinist. As a machinist he must wear steal toed boots and coveralls at work. It's company policy. The company won't pay for them because they are requirements to do the job. Yes, they are necessary to do his job, but he still has to pay for them.

Maybe a better example. Most jobs have a dress code. Some have a higher dress code then others. If the company dress code is business attire, your company won't pay for the clothes, they're necessary to keep your job.

In this case your company asked you to travel. A passport is necessary to travel, which is something you accepted. I don't think they're obligated to pay for your passport, especially seeing as you can and most likely will use it for purposes other then your job.

Feb 6, 2011, 01:47 AM
    Comment on Altenweg's post
    I understand your point, but traveling internationally isn't a normal everyday task for my job. There is an emergency need for someone to go and I am the only one my company thinks can do the job.

Feb 6, 2011, 01:48 AM
    Comment on Altenweg's post
    Oh, and I didn't really accept it. I was mostly told that I am going.
    oneexception Posts: 92, Reputation: 10

Feb 6, 2011, 03:02 AM
    I am a contractor, for me, it would be like charging my customers for cost of the tools needed to complete their jobs. Don't get me wrong, I understand your frustration of being told they would cover it verbally. And like Altenweg said, you'll have if for future work and or personal use. ;D

Feb 6, 2011, 03:47 AM
    Comment on oneexception's post
    I understand your point as well, and if I were a contractor I would agree as it would be a tool for the trade. But I am a full time employee being asked to do something outside of my normal duties and to shell out cash to do it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 6, 2011, 06:53 AM

First, If you have follow-up info or questions please use the Answer options near the bottom of the page, not Comments.

From a legal standpoint, you cannot force them to pay. You can ask that they produce the company policy that they are citing to make sure it exists. But, assuming it does, then there is no legal recourse. You can go to your supervisor, or whoever promised you to pick up the fees and try to negotiate something else. Maybe a higher per diem a raise in salary or some other way to compensate you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2011, 07:08 AM

Hello c:

It's been a couple years since I got my passport, but it costs, what, $90?? I don't know whether your job is worth making an issue over that. If you can get another one right away, I MIGHT make an issue over it, especially since you were TOLD they would reimburse you...

Let me ask you this... IF they paid for your passport, and demanded that you surrender it to them upon your return, would you happily give it up?

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which ducument have require for portugess passport [ 1 Answers ]

My dad's born place is DAMAN and I'm stay in mumbai so I want to apply for pogutess passport can I Apply and Which Document is required for portuguess passport

I pay $1 for LTD premiums after taxes and employer pays rest. Is my LTD pay taxable [ 1 Answers ]

I pay $ 1 for LTD premiums after taxes. My employer pays rest of premium for LTD for me. Will my LTD checks be taxable now that I've just been granted full disability?

Can my employer require unpaid work for an hourly employee? [ 2 Answers ]

My employer has set up a system where we work on projects and each of these has a specific budget. When the budget runs out, we stop getting paid to work on that project. We often find ways around this so it isn't always a problem, but last week I was directed to complete several projects with no...

Can Landlord require rentor to pay for repairs to HVAC? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a friend who was given a Lease for the rent of a house that stated the Lessee shall be responsible for all repairs to the dwelling including HVAC, Plumbing, etc. Is this even legal (state of Alabama). I used to manage over 150 units of rental properties years ago so I am out of the loop....

View more questions Search