Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Minaj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2011, 05:56 PM
    How to cope with my erratic best friend
    My flatmate who is also my best friend is getting married. Before the wedding preparation became public notice (officially announced to all), she use to go on and on to me about how she wants her wedding to go. But eventually, the whole wedding plan has taken a different turn contrary to her initial plans. Seems she is easily influenced by peoples opinion(Aunts, sisters etc) as against hers E.G. she comes home and she has bought the same thing she told me she wouldn't buy... when I ask why she says because AuntyA said so etc sometimes she doesn't even bother telling me when she goes off the plan (maybe because I might shrug... "I thought you said u didn't want...ok"). This sort of irritates me, sometimes I just want to sit her down and give a 24-hour-lecture on being strong-willed and doing HER thing. She also doesn't take unfavorable judgments well (you'll see it in her eyes)
    I have a critical mind (but sometimes I might never say anything)
    Please how do I (generally) not be too critical, shut-up, smile and just go along with her plan(even when I don't agree)? Or what do you advice a best friend to do in this kind of situation?

And please if I have my own place and my wedding venue is closer to my apartment, would it be disrespectful to my parents if I don't go dress-up at theirs' and leave from theirs' for my wedding? (generally)

Thanks y'all
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2011, 10:04 AM

When your roommate comes home and talks about her wedding, you could ask her in a friendly but not challenging or judging manner, "how are you feeling about everything - are you enjoying the process of planning the wedding?" If she seems on the fence you could just ask, "I can't help but notice you're trying very hard to please everyone --I just wanted to ask to make sure that your dreams are being realized, too". Then it's up to her whether she wants to talk about it but if you pressure her, it's just one more person finding fault with how she's managing, so I wouldn't do that.

As for your own plans, if your parents have dreams of taking pictures at the house and leaving there with you to go to church so their neighbors all see their beautiful daughter, it's a small thing to do for the people who raised you - the convenience of being closer to the venue isn't a worthwhile tradeoff unless it's like an hour or more closer in my opinion. If you expect horrible traffic or weather, it's a different story and you might suggest that everyone stay close to the venue.
    Minaj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2011, 01:21 PM
    Comment on dontknownuthin's post
    I really appreciate your response, it sure was helpful, I'll keep it cool (I've not really been pressuring though)
    And my second question was just a general one on if parents will feel disrespected if their marrying-kids don't leave from theirs.

Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I cope with the death of my father, a cheating now ex with my best friend? [ 4 Answers ]

My ex is sleeping with my best friend , they both turned against me 3weeks after my father passed away. Now I have had to go through the pain of losing my father, my now ex lover, and my best friend of 15 years. I feel like giving up but I know I cant. I have two children that where very close to...

Youtube is erratic [ 5 Answers ]

My YouTube videos do not work properly. SOmetime yes, more often no. The little circle goes round and round but doesn't get anywhere. I have downloaded Adobe Flash but still same problem. Also Windows media player. I'm about to give up in frustration. I have HP PC with Windows XP.

Erratic idle [ 2 Answers ]

My mower has an very erratic idle

Motion-off switch erratic [ 1 Answers ]

I have three bathrooms which have a motion-off switch. At times, when the switches are turned on and someone is using the bathroom, the switches will all of a sudden turn off the lights unexpectedly. This doesn't occur all the time but at least three times a month and affects all three bathrooms....

Thermastat seems erratic [ 4 Answers ]

During the daytime, the thermostat for the heating unit works just fine. But at night, without touching the thermostat, the temperature creeps up. Why does it do this?

View more questions Search