Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daveeb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2011, 04:30 PM
    (Texas) Parents sold property they had gifted to their child
    The gifting was done from 1996-2004 and was legally recorded in the county records. The land and the house on it was 100% gifted over the 6 year period. No release of the gifted property was signed at the time of the sale and the parents did not give the child any compensation after the sale of the property. The title company apparently missed the recorded gift deeds in their search and the sale went through. The child did not have knowledge of the gift deeds at the time of the sale of the house. Does the child have a legal right to the house purchased with the funds from the gifted property or a cash equivalent from the estate of the parents?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 5, 2011, 04:35 PM

The child has to sue the parents or their estate for the value of the property.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 5, 2011, 05:19 PM

Where the "gift" deeds filed and recorded at the courthouse ?
    If so how did the title company miss it ?

They can sue both the parents and the buyers, I will assume the buyers purchased title insurance.

Also the title company may have some liablity, if there were valid deeds signed and recorded at the court house, they get paid to review all of this.

If the property was actually deeded over and recorded, the child owns it, and the new sale and deed would not be valid and could be contested. This would then cause the issue to be between the new buyer and the seller ( parents)
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 5, 2011, 05:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
    ... Does the child have a legal right to the house purchased with the funds from the gifted property ...
    No, the child doesn't have a right to that specific property.

... Does the child have a legal right to ... a cash equivalent from the estate of the parents?
    Sure.

But the big question is this: Who should bear the loss from this, the buyer (or actually the buyer's title insurance carrier) or the parents (or actually their estates)? It appears that both were equally numb-skulled in letting this fiasco happen. Perhaps comparative negligence would apply and each would bear part of the expense.

... The child did not have knowledge of the gift deeds at the time of the sale of the house. ...
    Depending on the wording of the recording statute in whichever state this is, the gift dead may or may not take priority over the sale deed. In some places, a deed must be "for value" in order to have priority.

Also, if the gift deed was never delivered to the child, it's arguable that the gift was never completed and, thus, was ineffective.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on parents sold property deeded. [ 1 Answers ]

Our mother is still alive but unable to live alone. She deeded the property to we 4 children 3 years ago. We sold the property last week. How if any do we pay taxes. House sold i new york we live in alabama, ohio and maryland

Taxes on gifted property [ 5 Answers ]

My two brothers and I were gifted my mother's home. She is still alive and living in a retirement center. We would like to sell the home, what taxes are we subject to?

Gifted property to an non-resident, what tax at time of sale? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a condo that I am thinking of gifting to my mother. I am a green card holder, my mother is a non-resident. What would happen if/when my mother chooses to sell the condo? Would she pay tax on the gains and would the gains be considered the full selling price as the condo was gifted to...

Gifted Child [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old son who can recognize and say each & every car that is on the road, he can also say 1-20, complete A-Z, he has an amazing memory for instance we went to this place few weeks ago for 2 minutes to order cake and when we went to that shopping center again but on a different side he...

Property Taxes on Property sold for estate settlement. [ 1 Answers ]

We have sold property in Indiana that will be part of and estate settlement. The property sold for less than $100,000. The money from this property will be divided between the 6 children. What taxes will be owed for the sale of this property?

View more questions Search