Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wagand Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2003, 04:06 PM
    English teaching
    Hi
    One of my EFL students asked me:
    Why is it OK to say the dog of my friend, and my friend's dog...
    BUT NOT: Job's book and the table's leg?

Thank you all for your help
    rosends Posts: 78, Reputation: 22

Feb 9, 2003, 12:59 PM
    English teaching
    There are 2 separate problems here:
    1. You CAN say "the table's leg" but the difficulty is that the table is an inanimate object which cannot "own" anything so the possessive nature of "of" is stretched. But the leg is "of" the table -- it DOES belong to it in some sense however...

2. The "of" in The Book of Job does not indicate possession. It indicates "about". And you can't reorder "the story about the frog" into a simple possessive "the frog's story" unless you change the meaning to mean not "the account of job from an outside story" to "the story concerning the frog" like "A Boy's Life"

So in both situatipons, the construction CAN exist, but you must be clear on meaning.
    pacmor00 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2003, 03:34 PM
    English teaching
    I'm an English teacher in Spain. And I wonder if there are two concepts called: EXPLICIT GRAMMAR AND IMPLICIT GRAMMAR in the process of teaching english as a second language?
    Krystal Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2004, 04:07 PM
    English teaching
    I'm ? And ? This is from a teacher of English? Stay in Spain.
    ilyosxon Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2011, 02:25 AM
    Because human is animate, object is inanimate

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teaching [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to know if there are some cool internet pages about "English teaching as a second language". Thanks

Is teaching hard? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in my first year in college and I'm plannig to major in education for elementary, I would like to know if being a teacher is too much, meanig if it's a stressful job or a fun job? Also is it hard to study to be a teacher, its hard for me right now, as a freshie but I'm worried that it...

Tips/Strategies on co-teaching ESL [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am a Canadian teacher in Korea, and this is my first time being exposed to co-teaching. I am required to co-teach with a local Korean teacher of English at a public primary school, with classes as big as 35 students each. I need some helpful tips and strategies on co-teaching, and I...

Teaching [ 3 Answers ]

Which fields or careers are most welcoming to former teachers or teachers seeking to transition out of teaching?

Teaching ESL in Argentina/Chile [ 0 Answers ]

I have ESL teaching experience in the U.S. and in Asia and am interested in finding a position in Argentina or Chile. If anyone can post information regarding web sites or other venues devoted to that topic, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

View more questions Search