Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2011, 10:50 AM
    Talk about a messiah. Get ready for Reagan revisionism.
    Hello:

Rush Limprod often holds up Reagan as the ideal for conservatives to live up to. He claims that Reagan generated tremendous economic growth, cut taxes, and played a huge role in defeating the Soviets during the Cold War.

However, when confronted with Reagan's ACTUAL record, which included raising taxes, cutting and running from Lebanon, granting amnesty to millions of illegals, running drugs, and negotiating with terrorists, the limp one grows silent. He never actually refutes the callers facts, he just ridicules him.

excon
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 6, 2011, 07:37 AM

From the soundbite that was linked to it sounded like a seminar caller. Seems all the talk shows get them. All they do is spew talking points and that's it. The bottom line is was Reagen a perfect president. (no). Was he a good one (IMHO yes). Did he raise taxes not really. Did he cut taxes yes. He increased revenue by closing loopholes and gave some of that money back to the middel class in the form of tax breaks. So in effect it can be said about his presidency he did both. One of the reasons he is looked up to so much is he figured out how to do an end around and address the people. He was resolute in his actions. (good and bad). When you look at the total package it speaks for itself. He was a democrat and was a former president of a union. Switched parties to republican and went on to lead this country through some promising times. He followed in the footsteps of a unpopular president like Carter. Right now you can look at the current president and make comparisons but in the end we won't really know what he truly is going to turn out to be until its over. Its always that way because His-Story has yet to be written.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2011, 07:58 AM
    Hello dad:

There's a lot NOT to like about his policies, but I sure liked the man.

I didn't at first... I was attending a conference in San Francisco in 1968 at the same time the students at the U of SF were staging an anti-war rally. Governor Reagan over reacted against those "hippies and commies" by gassing the ENTIRE CITY, me included. That didn't endear him to me.

excon
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 6, 2011, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello dad:

There's a lot NOT to like about his policies, but I sure liked the man.

I didn't at first... I was attending a conference in San Francisco in 1968 at the same time the students at the U of SF were staging an anti-war rally. Governor Reagan over reacted against those "hippies and commies" by gassing the ENTIRE CITY, me included. That didn't endear him to me.

excon
    Those were odd times to live through. I guess your lucky you didn't live in Berkeley at the time. That was a regular thing for Friday nights and Saturday mornings. At that time the "generation gap" was much wider then it is today in a lot of ways. But speaking of revision. Look who is Govenor now. Lol.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2011, 08:19 AM

Tip O'Neal and the Dems ran the House of Representatives where all spending and taxing bills originate. Every year Reagan's budget was proclaimed DOA .

I argue that he was never able to completely implement his agenda because the Dems consistently passed higher budgets . Yes there was some tweeking to his 2 major tax cuts . Still ,in his time ,marginal rates were slashed across the board .
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2011, 07:41 AM

Would love to have heard the rest of the clip.

A) I don't see any revisionism, everything the caller said has been hashed and rehashed and then some.

B) I never considered him a Messiah. Inspirational yes, he made us feel proud to be Americans again, but we never viewed him as god and savior.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2011, 02:36 PM
    If you guys are into past heroes we have some past heroes we would gladly send you, even a messiah or two

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The spirit of Reagan lives [ 14 Answers ]

... in Rhode Island. Unionized teachers making 3 times the income of the average citizen in a Rhode Island town won't take an extra 25 minutes a day to help their failing students, so the Superintendent fired them all. Every teacher, every administrator. Sweet.

From Reagan to Nationalization of Banking System [ 23 Answers ]

We see the unavoidable death of the so called "Reagan Revolution" started in 1980. We are just days of weeks away from having to have our banking system Nationalized(run by the national government) because of the reckless and unregulated fat cats actions leading to our current failing economic...

Yes, the Messiah has come [ 13 Answers ]

Spike Lee said so... What more proof do we need? No more controversy over BC/AD and CE/BCE... in 2009 it will be BO and AO when the Messiah takes his throne...

About messiah. [ 2 Answers ]

This is thanigai... what do the word "MESSIAH" mean? I want a clear and brief answer... ... what is the difference between the two testaments of bible...

Reagan and spending [ 6 Answers ]

Why do republicans keep talking about reagan cutting spending and reducing government, when numbers show just the opposite?

View more questions Search