Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    renna0294 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2011, 04:16 PM
    Can your boss assume you quit when you did not quit?
    I have been sick the last few weeks, with a major illness, and one of my bosses has not seen me work for 3 weeks due to me being in high school. I only work 1 day every 2 weeks. My Boss assumed I had quit when in reality I had not quit. Is this legal?
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2011, 04:21 PM

Did you supply a sick cert? If you just didn't turn up without telling them why, even if you had a good reason, they are entitled to think you quit.

If you only work for one day a fortnight, it sounds like you don't have the protection that a full time employee has, so your boss can sack you at short notice.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 4, 2011, 04:21 PM

Oh come on, renna, there is a serious lack of communication between you and your bosses. You either work or you don't. You only work on day in two weeks? I don't think that is a mjaor issue, that is only part time. Is this a money issue, because the money you make for that one day in two weeks cannot make that much of a difference.

It probably looks like you are never there if you work one day every two weeks. Do you have to clock on, like punch a time clock...

Tick
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 4, 2011, 04:28 PM

If you didn't call in to notify them, or didn't supply a note from your doctor, then yes, they can assume that you quit. It happens all the time, people decide they no longer want the job, and instead of doing the responsible thing and calling to quit, they just stop showing up.

As an employer your boss needs reliable employees. If you don't show up for 3 weeks, then he has the right to find someone that will, and there are plenty of people out there looking to fill your position.

Did you call to inform your employer that you're ill? Did you provide a note from your doctor, or offer to supply such a note? If you were able to go to school why weren't you able to work?

one of my bosses has not seen me work for 3 weeks due to me being in high school.

Feb 4, 2011, 04:31 PM
    I Did call in but they never relaid the message to the schedule manger,The schedule manger never sees me work because she works on Sundays and she never places me on Sundays. SO She assumed I had quit.All my other Mangers and sub-mangers see me there when I am told to be there(on time mind you.)The thing is they are supposed to be giving me at least 10 hours a week and their not. Yes I clock in and out.

Feb 4, 2011, 04:34 PM
    My doctor only allows me to go to school if I feel up to it. The Illness: 5th disease. I am not able to do a lot with it.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2011, 04:45 PM

Do things in writing. Post a letter (with your doctor's sick cert enclosed) or at the very least, send an e-mail.

By the way, how do you know they didn't pass on the message?

If you have a debilitating condition that is not going to clear up quickly, it's not fair to expect them to keep your job open for you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 4, 2011, 07:47 PM

The boss can assume anything they want, but of course all you need to do is have the other bosses go in and tell her.

But if this is a high school after work type of job, if you call in sick a few times they will fire you anyway most likely.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 4, 2011, 10:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by renna0294 View Post
    My doctor only allows me to go to school if i feel up to it. The Illness: 5th disease. I am not able to do a lot with it.
    I don't understand. 5th disease isn't that serious. My son had it a few years ago, and he recovered very quickly. Once the rash occurs you're no longer contagious and you should be able to resume normal activities.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To quit, or not to quit? [ 12 Answers ]

I enjoy smoking, and I only smoke about 3 cigarettes a day. My girlfriend and I have a very healthy relationship, but she tells me that she won't marry me if I don't quit smoking. I'm wondering if me quitting smoking is a healthy decision, because I've never made changes for others. I feel like...

Can I quit and get unemployment if I have been hippa violated by my boss? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been missing work due to a high risk pregnancy.My boss has told the employees and instructed them to tell customers that ask for me that I have been having a lot of medical problems,not showing up and will be fired soon.I am more than embarrassed and hurt by my boss' lack of respect of my...

I lost my glass eye boss won't help with hours should I have to quit? [ 2 Answers ]

Ive lost my glass eye so now I have nothing there anymore. I asked my boss to help me with hours and coming in early to get all the morning work done so I don't have to leave my job. She will not help me in anyway and HR isn't helping either. I don't want to leave my job but I feel I'm being...

Should I take emergency leave of absence and then quit or just quit immediately? [ 4 Answers ]

I have to leave job for which I did not have time to notify my employer 2 weeks before I quit. My planes changed so fast. I have to quit immediately, but I I still have my shift schedule for tomorrow. I work at Starbucks as barista. Should I make call and tell them that my car broke and cannot come...

Boss says I can quit my job to cash out 401K and get rehired? [ 2 Answers ]

My employer allows people to quit their job for the sole purpose of cashing out their 401K and get the employer and employee contributions; as well as their vacation pay. Once the disbursement is made, they are rehired. All of their benefits are bridged except the 401K the employee has to reapply...

View more questions Search