Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cshore Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2011, 01:30 PM
    Do you pay taxes on inheritance?
    Our mother died and we (her three sons) received approximately $20,000 each after the estate was settled. Do I have to claim this as income and pay taxes on it?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2011, 01:35 PM

You need to tell us what state and country you reside... we have english speaking members from a number of countries (that have their own Dollar as well). And no 1 answer applies to all.
    cshore Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2011, 01:40 PM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    North Carolina - USA
    robinad Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Feb 4, 2011, 02:24 PM
    I don't remember the exact amount that you have to pay tax on if it goes over a certain amount, I think it might be around 16k. But maybe it's 20k, they may have raised the amount. I would google for a result.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 4, 2011, 05:20 PM

There is no inheritance taxes on the federal or state level. Any taxes due on the inheritance is paid by the estate. So whatever was paid out should have been after any taxes due and therefore you need not claim it.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2011, 11:50 PM
    Scott:

Do not get your terms mixed up.

The estate pays ESTATE taxes.

The heirs pay inheritance taxes, which treats the inheritance as income. And, yes, some states DO have inheritance taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My ex had got an inheritance from his uncle for 2.3million,does he have to pay taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My ex had got an inheritance from his uncle for 2.3million dollars.He was also suppose To give 2 of our daughters 100,000.00 each & our son 200,000.00.He didn't give the Money to our children at all because his new wife said that they were not responsible Enough to have that...

Do I have to pay taxes on an inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

My aunt passed away and I received $55,00 in inheritance. The executor of the will paid estate taxes. Do I have to pay any taxes on the inheritance? We live in OHio.

Inheritance received from Mexico, pay taxes in US/ [ 2 Answers ]

My father passed. He left my a house in Mexico as inheritance, which I sold. It when from his name to the new owners name, I got the Money. The money is sitting in a bank in Mexico. When I transfer that money to the US I know that the banks have to report anything over 10,000 to the IRS. When I...

Do I pay taxes on inheritance from my mother [ 11 Answers ]

My mother just passed away and leave me 200,000 dollars from her investments, do I pay taxes.

What state do you pay inheritance taxes in? [ 1 Answers ]

If my father dies in Delaware, but all of his children live in different states, whose inheritance tax laws are followed, Delaware's or the state that the individual heir lives in?

View more questions Search