Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WAMarketeer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2011, 12:16 PM
    The phrase 'for the best' seems like poor grammar.
    I used the phrase, "It's probably for the best" recently and it seemed like poor grammar usage. Is it? What is its origin?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 4, 2011, 12:22 PM
    It's an idiom, so it's OK even if not grammatical, but 'for the best' is grammatical.
    It's just short for a longer phrase that would describe what is best.
    Best 'result' or 'situation' or 'ending' or 'solution' sound sort of ponderous.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 4, 2011, 12:25 PM

You said it correctly.

As for origin, it's an idiom -- from idioms.freedictionary.com "for the best" e.g., 1) Well, I was rejected by one college, but I really like where I am now, so I guess things worked out for the best. 2) Everyone was asleep by 9, and that turned out for the best because the sun woke us at 6 the next morning.

Usage notes: often hope for the best (wish something ends well): We try to make sure we've planned for the worst, but we're hoping for the best.

I've heard it mostly at funeral homes and funerals.

It's a superlative for the word "good" --

It is good.
    It is better.
    It is (the) best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grammar [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Do you say 'good at English' or 'good in English'? Which is which? Thanks.

He's poor, I'm not rich but not poor, he expects me to pay for everything, cheap? [ 24 Answers ]

My boyfriend is poor, I'm not rich nor poor, he expects me to pay for everything.. sometimes at dinner he orders a long list and I know I'm going to have to pay for it.. is it about being poor? Or is he cheap?

Grammar [ 7 Answers ]

Hi!? Do you say "to the left/right of sth" or "on the right/left of". I found that both possibilities are correct. Is that right? Thank you

View more questions Search