Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scottryan1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2011, 12:30 AM
    Does anyone know what speed astronauts can withstand km/s
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2011, 03:03 AM

Well, I don't know, but when I used Google, I didn't come up with anything directly, but this:

Astronauts use a centrifuge to simulate the acceleration of a rocket launch. The centrifuge takes 20.0 s to speed up from rest to its top speed of 1 rotation every 1.40 s. The astronaut is strapped into a seat 7.80 m from the axis.
    From this, you can work out the speed which happens to be:

Hm... that's not much.

Maybe you're looking for the acceleration astronauts can withstand?

This is about 16 times the acceleration due to gravity!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 4, 2011, 11:57 AM

Since you asked about speed, and not acceleration, you should understand that speed is relative. There are no issues with respect to what a person can "withstand" regarding one's speed relative to another. It's change in speed, or acceleration, that is an issue, as Unk described. But as for some speed records:

1. The speed with which astronauts returning from the moon as measured relative to the earth is max about 40000Km/Hr, or 11.1 Km/s.

2. The earth orbits around the sun at about 30 Km/s.

3. The solar system moves through the Milky Way Galaxy at about 220 Km/s.

4. The relative velocity between galaxies can vary quite a bit, but astronomers have observed that we are moving at a speed of about 75,000 Km/s relative to the most distant observed galaxies.

So there you go - you yourself are moving at 75000 Km/s as measured by someone on that distant galaxy - yet you have no issue "withstanding" that at all! The only true limit is that nothing can move faster than the speed of light, or 300,000 Km/s.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

If UFOs are real.how can so many astronauts remain Mum? [ 10 Answers ]

I am always interested in what the astronauts have to report about past or present trips in space. With the anniversary of the moon landing now currently covered in many media spots ie( cover stories/new interviews etc).. it strikes me again.. how can all these astronauts.. men and women.. older...

Will a 5 - 8" cement slab withstand winter temps without cracking? [ 12 Answers ]

"A couple of months ago, we had a 5 - 8' cement slab poured for our garage foundation. We don't want to build the walls and roof of the garage until spring. To protect the slab from the elements (snow, freezing temps) over the winter, we are thinking of putting bails of hay on top of it and then...

How to find final speed when initial speed and average speed is given [ 5 Answers ]

a car travels a certain distance with a speed of 40m/s and returns with a speed 'u'. If the average speed for the whole journey is 48m/sec what is the value of'u'?

Insulation withstand voltage [ 1 Answers ]

What does mean by insulation withstand voltage of Circuit breaker, what is meaning of BIL, how to prove the voltage rating of Circuit breaker, what is power frequency voltage. Could any one help to know all these thing, any link or free e-book where these things are elaborated. Please suggest...

Maximung Force Can Withstand: Will It Hold? [ 4 Answers ]

I haven't had any questions like this so I'm not even sure if I understand it correctly let alone know how to go about solving it. First, I found the net force needed to lift the bag with an acceleration of 5 m/s^2 Fnet = m*a = 20 kg * 5 m/s^2 = 100 N Then I found the force of gravity...

View more questions Search