Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BenAssa Posts: 21, Reputation: -1

Feb 3, 2011, 09:13 PM
    How to choose a jump box (jump starter)
    There are so many out there, and I'm a bit lost
    I wonder what are the differences between them, and what should I be looking for
    (I drive a 2001 Chevy Astro if that matters)
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2011, 09:22 PM

It depends. Are you a professional like myself? Or just want to keep one handy for that "special" day.
    For the latter, I recommend Harbor Freight. Just shop price.
    BenAssa Posts: 21, Reputation: -1

Feb 3, 2011, 09:27 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply
    I just want it for "emergencies", I am not a pro, but also don't drive much, so the battery dies every few months
    But I shopping for price I bought a cheap jack for emergencies, and last week it broke under the weight of my car, so I had to throw it away, and call my insurance company's roadside assistance
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2011, 07:22 AM

I recommend that you buy an old-fashioned 6 amp. Battery charger with an ammeter (e.g. Schauer), remove the battery, and charge it until the ammeter doesn't cut back anymore--usually between 1 and 2 amps. With jumpers, I've seen people fry their ECMs--due to voltage spikes. It doesn't take much. My dad bought an expensive charger/jumper several years ago--it's temperamental and won't even charge the battery sometimes. I'm always suggesting that he just use his old charger.

Here's an example of what I'm suggesting:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2206216...=263602_309572

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you jump the starter directly on a '93 Honda Civic [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a 93 Honda Civic that just died last week (on a very hot day). Battery is fine (only 2 years old) and all lights and stereo work, I hear the fuel pump turn on, but then silence - no clicking or cranking. I've already checked fuses and tried tapping the starter. From the research...

94 Accord keeps needing jump after replacing starter [ 1 Answers ]

Okay; so back in May in replaced my starter trying to fix a Hot start problem that turned out to be my main relay. Thanks Texas Grease Monkey; I wish I would have know about this site before I changed my starter because it turns I never needed to change it. Texas you are awesome! Thanks for the...

Tractor won't start with key - but I can jump starter to start [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a used Ford 1210 compact tractor and it will not start with the key. I replaced the switch and still no luck. Tested the safety switch & wire that goes to the starter and both are in good order (verified with ohm meter). When I try to start with the key, the lights dim some so I can see...

Portable Jump Starter doesn't charge flat battery? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have the Yellow Portable Jump Starter with Air Compressor, The problem is I have charged it fully and it always stays at 13 on the meter Which is in the green which is supposed to be good. When my cars battery goes flat it doesn't charge the battery, doesn't do anything, But it...

View more questions Search