Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwms1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2011, 03:42 PM
    Property sold as short sale - Received a 1099-S form - Do I file with my tax return?
    As a pre-foreclosure, approved to sale property as short sale. The property sold and I only signed paperwork through the mortgage co for the sale. I received no funds from this sale as it sold for substantially lower than what was owed to the mortgage co. I received a 1099-S in the mail. The only figures included on this form is the price that the home sold for. Am I to file the 1099-S with my tax return?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2011, 03:59 PM

Yes... all forms such as that are to be included in your return.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 17, 2011, 02:47 PM
    Actually, the Form 1099-S is NOT included in your return because it shows a sale for a LOSS, which is NOT reported on the tax return if the house is primary home.

If the house is an investment property, then the Form 1099-S is used as a source document for the starting point to determine the SALES price of the porperty.

You may be getting other forms from this sale, to include Form 1099-A and 1099-C. If such forms are received and this house is your primary home, you need to get professional tax help to prepare your tax return, because the amount on Form 1099-C is considered to be taxable income by the IRS. There is a process by which the tax on the Form 1099-C can be forgiven, but you must meet certain criteria.

THAT is the reason you need professional tax help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I do not file taxes, but received tax form 1099 are, do I have to file a tax? [ 2 Answers ]

I am on SSD AND DO NOT FILE TAXES, but I received a form 1099-R showing fderal income taxwithheld for $4093.00 on my pension that I Received.Do I HAVE TO REPORT THIS SINCE THEY TOOK IT OUT Already or do I have to file some kind of form to the IRS. This is the only income I'vd received other than my...

Non-resident Alien received 1099-MISC. Never filed tax return before. [ 8 Answers ]

I am a university student with an F-1 visa. Last summer, I spent 5 months on an off-campus internship and received a $150/month stipend during my stint. Last week, I received a 1099-MISC Copy B from the employer. I have been in the States since August 2009 and have not filed a tax return before. Am...

I'm trying to file my tax return asap but only thing I'm waiting on is my 1099-R form.. [ 1 Answers ]

Im using Merrill Lynch and would like to know what info I need to use to file to avoid waiting for my 1099-R. I have access to my online account so I can get the info. Thanks for the help! -Chris

How to file tax return as F1 student received 1099-MISC [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Please help me~~~~~ I am a student under F1 VISA. I come from China. In April 15, 2008, I took a part-time job as internship in a computer company, but my controller pay me as consultant, and gave me 1099-MISC in January, 2009. The amount in my form 1099-MISC is $14,391. My question...

I sold my house in 2007. How do I file my tax return [ 3 Answers ]

I sold my house in 2007. How do I file my 2007 federal income tax.

View more questions Search