Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pajoooo Posts: 60, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2011, 03:14 PM
    How to add and subtract days, months and years
    Help, please,

My biggest problem is how to add and subtract days, months and years in columns E23:E27, D23:D27 and C23:C27.
    View Attachment.
    Thanks.

Feb 3, 2011, 03:28 PM
    Sorry for Attachment!

It's here.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 3, 2011, 06:39 PM

Adding and subtracting DATES is simple when you treat dates as a whole. There is no need to break out years and months and days unless you're just wanting to see "elapsed time".

But any date is simple to add/subtract from in it's raw form.

Retirement date based on age:
    =DATE(YEAR(A6)+65,MONTH(A6),DAY(A6))

Retirement age based on service:
    =DATE(YEAR(A9)+40,MONTH(A9),DAY(A9))

Retirement date based on both, selecting which one comes first:
    =MIN(DATE(YEAR(A6)+65,MONTH(A6),DAY(A6)),DATE(YEAR (A9)+40,MONTH(A9),DAY(A9)))

Feb 4, 2011, 02:42 AM
    Comment on JBeaucaire's post
    Thanks, JBeaucaire, Your words "subtracting DATES is simple when you treat dates as a whole" not disputed, but I need to break out years and months and days because working experience in the employment certificate is in this format.
    Software Expert

Feb 4, 2011, 07:38 AM

So in your sheet, where exactly are you asking for help? What cells? What should the answer be?

Feb 4, 2011, 03:38 PM
    In my sheet: C24:E24 and C25:E25, both in years, months and days.
    I tried treat dates as a whole and find a solution around . First view Attachment.

Attachment
    Software Expert

Feb 4, 2011, 04:14 PM

The problem is in the blue section. Those values don't really add up to usable data. For each row, you actually need a standard date value showing StartDate and EndDate. From that you can display your blue cells if you have some need to do so, but you would never try to add those values, it's nonsensical.

Instead, you would add/subtract from the actual date values you've places on that row from which those values were derived.

This is important, a generic number YEARS means different things in different years, some years are 365 days, some 366. Months are always 12 per year, but days in months are all over the place.

The only way to "hope" to get a close result is to use the actual start/end dates for each row.

Feb 4, 2011, 04:30 PM
    I opted for Your option to use the actual start/end dates for each row.
    Many thanks for help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I add past months to a eviction notice? [ 1 Answers ]

I am the owner of a mobile home in California. The home is paid for although each month I pay the space rent, along with electricity, gas, trash, security, and cable to the Mobile Home complex. Four years ago, I had a friend start staying here because I was gone every weekend. He watched the...

Add-subtract multiply-divide [ 2 Answers ]

This is seriously an elementary question but I'm drawing a blank because I haven't done math in forever. Lets say you have a random equation like 23.2 divided by 14.56 + 78.6325 When you do the equation do you subtract/add first or is divide/multiply? thanks!

Can apartments add additional months to lease without your knowledge? [ 1 Answers ]

We moved into a new apartment development in Arizona, signed a 12 month lease for a two bedroom. We decided after a couple of months we needed additional room (my mother in law was moving in) so the office said this would be no problem. We then paid a transfer fee and a fee for an additional...

View more questions Search