Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bugle1in4me Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2011, 12:51 PM
    How can a credit union pledge my money when I am not in default
    I have a savings account and two CD's with a Federal Credit union. I also have a loan for an RV. After two years of never being in default of my loan they said that they found out my husband owed them money from nine years ago. After hiring a lawyer to fight this they agreed that due to statute of limitation on debt and that my husband was not even aware of the debt, they never sent him any notification that we owe them money for the debt from nine years ago. Now they have pledged my savings and cd's to the payment of the 5th wheel and will not let me withdraw my money. How can they do this?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2011, 12:54 PM

Whose name is on the savings account and the CD's?

Whose name is on the title to the RV?

Let me make sure I have this straight - your husband has a debt in his name only which is unpaid. You have a loan for an RV. Your RV payments are (and have been) up to date.

Now someone, someplace has taken money from your CDs and savings account and made payments on the RV loan with that money?

That doesn't make sense.

Feb 3, 2011, 01:03 PM
    The savings account is in my husband and my name. One CD is in my name only, one CD is in my name and my children's name. The RV loan is only in my name. The credit union said my husband owed them money for a debt from nine years ago. This was before we were married, my husband did not know he owed this money because it was for a truck, but after the plant my husband worked for closed down my husband got delinquit on his loan then credit union mailed him the title to the truck in the mail with a letter saying they wrote his debt off. He did not think he needed to pay that off, maybe his mistake and he did pay off all his other debt over time so he would have paid this one if he would have known. Our lawyer we hired got them to agree that due to statute of limitaions my husband doesn't owe them anything. When I tried to withdraw our savings and cD's because of the way they had treated us they would not let me. They say the money is pledged to our RV loan. They have not taken any money out of our savings but also won't give it to us? I hope this helps make more sense.

Feb 3, 2011, 03:08 PM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    Savings account both names, cd's my name and our kids. The RV is only in my name. My husband got the debt before we were married 9 yrs ago but didn't know he had to pay back because they sent him the title.They have not taken $ out of our account

Feb 3, 2011, 03:09 PM
    I also answered your questions in detail in an answer to myself. I am not used to this site yet. :-) If you don't mind you can read that for more info. Thank you so so much
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2011, 05:24 PM

No problem - I went out to work, came back. That's why I was gone.

If an Attorney gave you a legal opinion that your husband's debt was out of Statute I would present a copy of that to the credit union. If you don't have a written copy I would get one. If you post the name of "your" State I will get the info on the Statute for you. No matter who did what (basically) if it's out of Statute ATTEMPTS can be made to collect it (they can call you for the rest of their lives) but they cannot LEGALLY take action against you.

They can call and badger you (and when I say "you" I really mean "him/your husband - "him/your husband - " is just easier) until you tell them to quit and confirm that in writing.

No one can change the terms of a loan unilaterally - if the CU now has decided you (or he) are a credit risk they cannot just grab your money as security - or for any other reason. Maybe they should have picked up the debt when they issued the loan. That's not your problem.

I believe the CU is holding your money as some type of collateral against the loan on the RV. The credit history is the reason. Does that sound right?

I would have to see the papers you received from the CU in order to know whether they can do that.

Have you consulted with an Attorney?

Feb 4, 2011, 07:53 AM
    We did hire a lawyer, he got the collection lady to agree they can't go after my husbands debt and she even agreed to mail us a check for our savings account but did not and now she won't return any phone calls. She also closed out our cd's

And put that money in our savings account but the clerk says our savings account is pledged and she can't give me my money. My lawyer said we are going to have to sue. I just found all this out after I posted yesterday but I would still app advice

{Comments merged}
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2011, 09:19 AM

I remain ASTONISHED! Please keep "us" informed about the grounds of the lawsuit.

I have thought of this more than once since you posted and I still can't wrap my mind around it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 4, 2011, 10:23 AM

Next stop using the comment feature, you can tell it does not allow you enough space to properly answer.

Actually "ANSWER" your own question to add more info in one post.

Feb 4, 2011, 11:35 AM
    I know! I will keep you posted, I think this cu is unethical and breaking the law!
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2011, 02:02 PM

I DO agree with you. (Very interesting question, by the way. Thought provoking. Will undoubtedly help someone else reading through the threads at some future date.)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 4, 2011, 05:32 PM

The way I read it, your savings accounts are pledged as collateral for the RV. And that's why they won't let you close the account.

So what you need to do is get them to prove that the savings accounts are pledged. If they were, there should be some documentation.

Feb 8, 2011, 08:58 AM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    I put my answer in the answer part, please read.

Feb 8, 2011, 09:03 AM
    It turns out the CU was stalling by saying the money was pledged to the RV they dug through their archives and found a document my husband signed many years ago saying that if he was ever delinquent on his loan they had a right to take any money he had or will ever have in their CU to pay for the outstanding debt. The savings account was not put up as collateral for the loan. They are saying they will take the money and we have in savings to pay off my husbands debt from 9 years ago. What worries me is will they also take our RV when we get it paid off with them?

Feb 8, 2011, 09:05 AM
    Comment on bugle1in4me's post
    I should add the CU had changed their name, I didn't know they were the same ones my husband used before. But He still didn't think he owed them any money they had mailed him the title to his truck he owed on in the mail and the letter said something about they wrote the debt off.
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2011, 11:15 AM

Sounds like he guaranteed the "once upon a time" loan by authorizing the withdrawal from any future accounts. Have you actually seen a copy of that paperwork?

Not unusual for a bank or CU to "assume" existing accounts, existing policies, when it is taken over/purchased by another CU.

Once the fifth wheeler is paid off, it is yours. No, they can't/won't take it.

Remind me again - whose name is the savings account, CD in? Your husband could not/cannot pledge YOUR individual assets against his debts.

(Met Attorneys for lunch today and we discussed this - everyone is pretty much baffled but this latest explanation solves some of that.)

Feb 8, 2011, 11:47 AM
    Our lawyer has the copy of the paperwork, he is going to let us know in a couple days if he thinks we have any ground to fight now. :-( I opened the CD's in my & my kids name but the CU has everything on one statement with only one account # The main account is in both our names. :-( One of the cd's was our kids money for the sale of sheep in 4H. But still the CU has it all under one account #. Thank you for putting my mind at ease over our RV. I have really good credit and have worked hard to have it. The money that is in the CU is from the sale of a house I had before I was married but sold after I got married. Our lawyer is looking at trying to prove that is was my money and not my husbands. Except that Idaho is a community property state so that doesn't look good for us.
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2011, 12:28 PM

This is a truly amazing situation. When you get it resolved be sure that your credit reports are corrected.

Again, please let me know how this works out.

I belong to a credit union and I have asked for a printout of what I signed when I opened the accounts. I guess I won't be comfortable until I see the papers with my own eyes!

Feb 8, 2011, 12:37 PM
    I will, thank you for your input and advice. I am going to ask for everything I signed too. :-)

Mar 2, 2011, 02:56 PM
    Update: My lawyer want's to try to settle. I am wondering if I need another opinion. My husband found a bank statement from the credit union that said the account was closed and the balance was zero. Plus the title of the truck that the credit union sent us has a signature from and employee of the credit union that says "signature releasing lien" if my husband owed money on the truck why would they release the lien? My lawyer says if we loose I could not only pay his fees but also the Credit unions attorney fees. Do you think I should get an other opinion?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My credit card, credit union loan will all go away after the California 4 yr statute [ 1 Answers ]

I have credit card debt as well as a unpaid auto loan from a credit union. Will that all go away after the California 4 year statute of limitation. What's the chances of getting taken to court and a getting a judgement. Can bank accounts be attached? Can liens be put on my home if it's in a trust?

Can credit union repo car because I am 4 months deliquent on credit card they issued me? [ 5 Answers ]

Can my credit union repo my car because I am several (3 or 4) months delinquent on my credit card from the same credit union? I have been on time on my car payment and they are refusing to post my car payment to my car loan because I am delinquent on my credit card. They are threatening to repo my...

Credit Union default versus Mortgage companies, difference? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Calif. Sadly, in default. My ultimate goal would be to do a loan modification on my 1st to obtain lower interest rate & payments. How can I negoiate with lender to give me a lower interest rate (Chase) instead of just tacking late payments on the end of the loan? My 2nd is an equity...

View more questions Search