Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eddie545 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2011, 10:46 AM
    Why are there game ratings?
    My mum and dad won't buy me call of duty black ops because it's 18+, but all my friends (well not all of them) got it.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2011, 10:47 AM

Because unlike your friends... YOU have responsible parents.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Feb 3, 2011, 10:48 AM

So what if they have it. Your parents don't have to do what other parents do.

There are game ratings for the same reason there are movie ratings. To keep kids like you from playing 18+ games.

Maybe you should focus more on school and less on video games!

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/child-...ck-550853.html

Feb 3, 2011, 10:50 AM
    Comment on ITstudent2006's post
    Are you my dad?
    Networking Expert

Feb 3, 2011, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie545 View Post
    are you my dad?
    God No! THat right there is why you shouldn't play 18+ games ;)

I don't have to be your dad. You asked a question on a public Q&A site therfore I can answer anyway I want to.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2011, 10:57 AM

Eddie545,

Ratings are in place to protect kids from viewing more than their parents, or a collective group, are comfortable with them seeing. Call of Duty is mature due to the graphic violence and language.

While some parents don't care what their kids are into, many others take a more responsible approach.

It can often be quite evident which kids have parents who care and which do not by how they behave. When you consider how much time many kids sit in front of a computer or television playing games, it is no wonder parents have to either limit the time playing, the games being used, or preferably both.

Of course it is likely hard for you to understand your parents' reasons, especially if some of your friends don't have the same limits.

Parents have to set limits. Would you let a 5 year old play those games? What about a 10 year old? No doubt you would set some kind of limit as well.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2011, 10:59 AM

Seriously... right now you see it as being deprived of something you want... but as you get older and develop more maturity you will understand that there are certain things you are not psychologically ready to deal with yet.

When you are older and have a bright future while some of these kids are getting into trouble and ruining their future (and they will)... this is all going to make sense to you.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 3, 2011, 11:13 AM
    Your parents are supporting you. Try paying for the roof over your head and food and heat and gas and clothes yourself.
    Parents can't tell you how to think, or what to do with your life as soon as you are 18 AND on your own.
    They sure can tell you what they will and won't buy you now!
    If you had said 'I have a job after school and saved up for this game and my parents won't let me bring it in the house' I'd say the same thing but with some sympathy, at least. 'My parents won't buy me' is bratty entitled stuff that should stop at age 5.

Feb 3, 2011, 11:17 AM
    Comment on ITstudent2006's post
    But you sound like my dad
    Networking Expert

Feb 3, 2011, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie545 View Post
    but you sound like my dad
    Your dad sounds smart! ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Movie Ratings [ 3 Answers ]

Do you guys think movie ratings are accurate?

Ac ratings [ 1 Answers ]

What is the highest rated home ac system and how do Carrier and Bryant compare

Game Show Host game [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know of an old electroinc board game that features a talking game show host? It was released in the late 70s or in the 80s. I thought the name of it was "Game Show Host" but I can't find it anywhere. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Ampacity Ratings [ 1 Answers ]

I need help finding ampacity ratings for the following type wires coatings - FRXLPE and FREPR, 90 deg C and 105 deg C. I am unable to find any type of ratings in the NEC.

Ratings... [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: I'm relatively new here, and I'll bet you've had this discussion before... But, I don't want to look it up. The ratings (or whatever they're called), suck. I always new it. I just didn't want to rock the boat. It's the agree or don't agree thing. A newbie (on this site) recently...

View more questions Search