Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ovreddy1978 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2011, 09:49 PM
    Tax status question... Please Help...
    I was staying with my wife and kid on L1 VISA from April 2008 to July 2009. My wife is not working either in India nor in USA. I filed Married filing jointly for both 2008 and 2009 FY's. Later we returned to India and I alone came back to US in March 2010. I stayed alone in US till Dec 2010. My Wife and Kid were in India for whole 2010 year.

My wife has SSN on L2 VISA status and my Kid has ITIN.
    1. Now how should I file my returns either Single or Joint for FY 2010?
    2. Can I claim my kid as dependent?

Please answer my questions.

Thanks,
    Venkat
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 11, 2011, 11:41 PM
    For 2010, you CAN file jointly with your wife; her physical location is irrelevant.

However, you CANNOT legally claim the child as a dependent unless the child spends at least SOME time in the U.S. in 2010.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 to H1B Dual Status Alien Tax Question [ 212 Answers ]

I am on H1B from June 1, 2004. I was on F1 until May 31, 2004 on OPT. I cleared the substantial presence test on H1 visa and stayed around 189 days in USA on H1 visa. While I was on my OPT (F1) I was self employed and received a 1099 MISC (non-employee compensastion). I guess I am a Dual -Status...

Tax Filing Status - Question [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am a US Citizen living in the US and I got legally married in May 2010 in India. My wife is an Indian Citizen. I am in the process of completing her immigration to the United States. She is expected to move to United States in March 2011. My question is what filing status should I use...

Tax question - dual status? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, In 2005, I worked on an H-1B till August 2005 and then switched status to an F-1 to study for my MBA. I have been on an H-1B since 2001 so I pass the substantial presence test. I am filing the 1040 as a resident alien. Is that OK? Or should I be filing as a...

F1 to H1B Dual Status Alien Tax Question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta Tax Expert, I was student in US since 2000 and in the middle of 2005 (end of Jun) I passed the substantial presence. I graduated by October and since then I am on H1-B. My wife is an international student holding F-1 visa but she does not pass the substantial presence criterion. I had...

View more questions Search