Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LUMAAV Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2011, 05:02 PM
    Food stamps
    If my mother file for food stamps and I liver under her roof I am over 18 can I file with out her'S GETTING CUT OFF?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2011, 05:32 PM

Your mother is getting food stamps based on household income and the number of people living in the household.

Now you are going to apply for your own foodstamps.

She cannot claim you if you don't live there; you cannot claim your own food stamps if she is already claiming you live with her and she supports you.

You can't have it both ways - the "head of household" and the chld BOTH receiving food stamps independent of each other.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 07:11 PM

Your mom's food stamp is considering the rent, the electric and more. Plus based on number of people in house, and their total income.

So your mom should be reporting your income and you.

If you were to file, you could not claim any of the same expense or incomes
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2011, 05:41 PM

You could get a job to help with the household - full time if you're not in school, part time if you are. Have you tried? It's a lot better for you in the long run and you really are too young to be relying on food stamps for your support - at 18 you should be hungry to work and grow and build a profession for yourself so that you can reach your dreams. I know it's hard in this economy, but if you're willing to pay your dues by maybe not having the job you want, but doing a job that pays your bills, you will build experience until the right job is available to you. IN the interim, if your mother is getting benefits for the household, it should be covering you already.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Food stamps in Florida [ 33 Answers ]

I hope that this is the right venue for this question. I lost my job this past summer and in December I applied for, and was awarded, food stamps for myself. My partner, who I have lived with for going on seven years now, did not want to be included at that time in my application, because...

Food stamps? [ 4 Answers ]

Who do you think should be entitled to food stamps?

Food stamps [ 4 Answers ]

I just recently applied for food stamps and medicaid through A.C.C.E.S.S and my partner had to be listed. I am 11 weeks pregnant and they are telling us now that due to me having my food stamps his are being terminated. He receives SSI and food stamps through disability and they sent a letter...

Food Stamps and SSI [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Arkansas and 2 of my 3 daughters get SSI. I am applying for food stamps and been doing some research and I am confused. Will it go by gross income or net income since we have daughters that qualify as disabled. My husband works and the last 30 days income, which I have to take to my...

View more questions Search