Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swayying Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2011, 11:32 PM
    Light fixture shorted out, replaced fixture, now no power
    In my bathroom, I have 1 grounded receptacle, & (1) 2 wire light switch that controls the 4 bulb light fixture. This is on a circuit with my upstairs lights & outlets, which all work with no problem. The bathroom receptacle has never worked, I replaced it after moving in house 10 years ago, & it still didn't work. Left it alone & used a screw in adapter in place of 1 of the bulbs in the light fixture. I plugged something different into the adapter, and it shorted out, no power to the lights. The breaker did not trip. Removed the fixture and checked voltage on the black & white wires, no voltage. Check V at the 2 wire light switch, no voltage. Checked V at the 3 wire receptacle, 2 volts from ground to white, zero from black to ground, same from black to white. Have check ohms , switch & receptacle are OK. Checked feeder wires in attic with sniffer, showing voltage from junction box, although sniffer also shows shows voltage in bathroom wires,except at receptacle, which showed 2 volts on meter. I cannot see any obvious problems with wires or junction box, and cannot fully trace wires all the way without opening up plaster walls. House is 50 years old, some wiring has been replaced at some point. HELP-Guesses, anything to point me some direction? Thanks
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 1, 2011, 11:44 PM

By sniffer do you mean a no contact voltage sensor?
    You traced wiring to junction box in attic. Is that the same box as the light fixture box?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2011, 08:15 AM

Despite the age, Most problems are not in the walls, but in a box/junction box. It is possible to have a problem in a box that has been covered over.
    That's why code says all must be accessible.
    swayying Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2011, 04:04 PM
    hkstroud--No, the light fixture box is on the wall, not the same box as one in attic.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 3, 2011, 06:32 AM

By sniffer do you mean a no contact voltage sensor?
    Assuming the answer to that question would have been yes if you had answered it. Get a small multimeter. No contact voltage sensors can be misleading if you don't fully understand electrical wiring.

If I understand correctly, you have power to the junction box in the attic but no power coming out of the junction box to the light fixture box. Turn power off, remove the cover of the junction box and check all connections. Turn power on and check for voltage between hot (black) and neutral (white) at the light fixture box. Also check for for voltage at the non working outlet. Use meter. Chances are that they are both fed from the junction box and you have a bad connection there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replaced a ballast and bulbs in fluorescent light fixture and now the bulbs flash [ 0 Answers ]

Replaced a ballast and bulbs in a fluorescent light fixture and now the bulbs flash what is causing this

How to change a pull chain fixture to a fluorescent light fixture with a switch ? [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to install a switch for a pull light fixture. The only power is from the light fixture, but I want to put a light switch on the wall as I enter the room, Can you help ?

Replaced ceiling fan light fixture, now fan won't work [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old ceiling fan. It was in the house when I bought it so I have no info on it. There are no tags or model #s on it. It is controlled by 2 separate wall mounted switches. One light dimmer and one fan speed controller. I wanted to update the light fixture on it so I removed it. Wiring...

Circuit Won't Come Back On After Fixture Replaced [ 2 Answers ]

While replacing an outside wall light fixture I shut off the breaker that controlled the correct circuit. After wiring the fixture I turned the breaker on and nothing on the circuit worked. I disconnected the fixture, thinking that it might be the cause, somehow, but still, nothing worked. The...

How to restore power to a light fixture and outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a ceiling light in my girls playroom that just stopped working we tried to put in a new light bulb did not work so I bought a whole new fixture installed still did not work also the next day went to urn on their TV and it also would not work but there are two other outlets in the room that...

View more questions Search