Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bwillow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2011, 08:47 PM
    Why is new 50 gal. hot water tank running out of hot water during a 14 minute shower?
    Drip tube needed replacing in 4 year old 50 gal. tank so we did that but it did not fix the problem. With a full tank 1 person could have about a 7 minute shower as hot as you want it but then you have to start turning off the cold to make the shower go 15 minutes. Next we replaced the tank with another 50 gal but we still have about the same amount of shower time. We do have the biggest shower head on the market now without the water-saver installed in it but it used to be just the regular shower-head and we still had the same problem. Where is the problem? I was told we should get 8 or 9 showers out of 1 tankful is that right or am I way off?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 1, 2011, 11:58 PM

Gas or electric? Who installed new water heater? What kind of pipe.
    bwillow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2011, 04:00 PM
    Gas heater, neighbor, copper as well as plastic.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 3, 2011, 04:04 PM

What temp do you have it set at and what does the label say about recovery rate? Since this happened with both the old and the new heater I am scratching my head at the moment. Some will think this crazy but another bad dip tube would certainly do it. Many folks think they know how to put in a water heater and about 1/3 of them sweat a pipe too close to the dip tube and cause it to melt off.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 3, 2011, 05:17 PM

Bob,
    That was why I ask who installed it.

Did you observe the neighbor install? Did he put the threaded fitting on the water heater and then solder the pipe to it. Or did he solder the threaded fitting to the pipe and then thread the fitting and pipe to the water heater?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low hot water pressure to tub (only) after replacing hot water tank [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced my hot water tank and installed a new one. Now, the hot water pressure in the shower/bathtub (only) is weak - all other faucets seem normal, and the cold water in the shower is fine. Water pressure was fine before I replaced the tank, the problems with the old one were that the...

Do I replace a 50 gal tank HOt water heater or go TANKLESS, if so what brand [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know what to do about purchasing and installing a new hot water heater. I don't know whether to go with tradtiional hot water heater replacement or tankless. I am in the mountains at 6000 feet. It would free up a closet area, but more venting etc. IF I get tankless which is best Bosch...

No hot water in shower and water heater affects both cold and hot water flow [ 1 Answers ]

1. No hot water coming from shower even though there is hot water coming from face basin in same bathroom and throughout the house( moen plumbing) 2. when water heater valve to house is turned off the cold water and hot water from shower does not flow, yet in other faucets throughout the house...

Hot Water Tank Running Out Quick [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 33 gallon "gas" heated tank. Seems to run out of hot water after the first shower in the morning. Is there any maintence I can do even know I have no knowledge of hot water tanks or plumbing?

Lp hot water tank running [ 2 Answers ]

We just replaced the thermostat on our lp hot water tank and the same thing is happening as before being replaced. The water heater keeps running but no hot water. If it 's not the thermostat, what could make it keep running. Thank you Ruthf

View more questions Search