Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missemme Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Feb 1, 2011, 10:29 PM
    The bible itself is a historical text... I KNOW that, but at the end of the day the connection that Christians have with it is purely spiritual, many can intellectualize and have logical discussions about it being historically accurate and all that, but at the end of the day when the short comings and questions come up (although some struggle with them)... most believe that one day it will come to light... faith (which is what I mean by it being a spiritual thing).
    I didn't say you were attacking anybody... I said I think the bible is used as manipulation but that does not give me the right to attack people... it was an abstraction... an example. You simply assumed I was talking about you:)
    Are you saying that you don't want me to post anything here since I haven't been here long long time?
    Where YOU going with this?
    Yes, the happenings in the bible can be proved or denied... but at the end of the day it still comes down to what you chose to believe... the Jews know Jesus and so do the Christians and they are working with similar history but they came to different conclusions about who he was... not black and white in my opinion...
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 07:59 AM

I am not saying I don't want you to post. I welcome all members to discuss with me. I was merely stating that Fr_Chuck and myself have an understanding that we're different and I didn't want you to think I was attacking him.

I apologize for the rudeness of my comments last night. I was upset about "expert topics"!!

I am not debating about what Christians see in the bible and how they interpret or connect with it. I just want to know how it can be credible. It's so old, who's to say this wasn't a story somoen wrote a long time ago and it kept getting passed down, being added to. Granted the physical things can be proven but yet again it could still be a story.

I could write a story right now including my town and the storm we just had, but the story be completely fictional. 100 years from now, they will find my story, see that the places in my book existed and so did events I described so they would assume the story is true... yet it's not. It's just a story.

I guess I am just wondering how can someone base their entire life off something that cannot be proven to be correct, accurate or true at all.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    I guess I am just wondering how can someone base their entire life off of something that cannot be proven to be correct, accurate or true at all.
    I think you're missing the point of the Bible, its purpose. It's not a science book nor is it a history book. It's not even historical fiction.

And no one is trying to prove anything about it, especially not to you. That's where the idea of faith comes in.

What do you trust? What or who do you have faith in?
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2011, 02:09 PM

I am a Christian and I am passionate about my beliefs but I'm not upset or angry when someone doesn't agree with me. Unless they get personal. I've had Jehovah Witness come to my door and it doesn't bug me that they try preaching to me. I completely disagree with them, let them know striaght up and shut the door. I know what I know and I believe what I believe. Also I have tried to witness to people had one person tell me to NEVER mention the name of Jesus to him again and I don't. You can't MAKE someone believe. So not sure I understand why you "despise" those who preach. Unless they are obnoxious and then you can't blame Christianity for that. Lots and losts of obnoxious people of all beliefs.

I guess if I thought that Christianity was just about what happened after I died maybe I wouldn't be interested either. But for me, it is all about living right now. Jesus said that he came to give us life and more abundantly... ( not the abdunant afterlife). Sure I believe heaven is waiting but Christianity is about Today, right now and who can't relate to right now?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 02:26 PM
    I could write a story right now including my town and the storm we just had, but the story be completely fictional. 100 years from now, they will find my story, see that the places in my book existed and so did events I described so they would assume the story is true... yet it's not. It's just a story.

I guess I am just wondering how can someone base their entire life off of something that cannot be proven to be correct, accurate or true at all.
    Oral history comes with time imortal. Before the days of writing that's how traditions and myths were passed down. It is from that history that allowed for man to progress. A way of learning from the past. Tose traditions were usually very strict in their making and persons were taught not to add or embelish them. Over time some things could have changed just by a simple word. Saying and instead of or in the wrong place could change a story completely and even start wars. The bible is filled with many events. Some proven as fact and others leave us with a mystery. One thing is for sure is that the new testiment has documentation following it that the old testement doesn't because of the oral traditions that went into the old testement. The new testement is the christian side of the bible. In its entirety it is a mixed blend of christian (new) and jewish (old) testement. Since the first churches there has always been debate and sometimes leading to bloodshed. At one time there was only 1 christian church through unification. Now there are many and its extremely splintered.

I think the part that gets me most is not if my fellow man (or woman) shares my faith. But the debates over one sentence or one word. It gets rather tiring. Even on the board here you see the misuse of being judged. But that could open a can of worms to another thread entirely.

So to answer your original question of "what do I think of people like you?"

To me it doesn't matter what you do or don't do as far as faith. Your life is yours to live. If we had known each other at some point I may have brought it up and if rejected that would have been the only time but it doesn't reflect on any opinion I would have of your character. You would still be my friend.
    Networking Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 02:28 PM
    Understanding...
    [QUOTE=Wondergirl;2692960]I think you're missing the point of the Bible, its purpose. It's not a science book nor is it a history book. It's not even historical fiction.

I'm not missing the point because I am not trying to understand. I realize and understand everything you're saying. It is in fact considered an historic book. Anything that perceives to display the past is historic material. I'm just wondering how it can be true. How does anyone know? How do we know Adam & Eve really existed? The Garden of Eden? Abel's death by the hands of his angry brother Cain? The disobedience of God by Cain and the sin being introduced in the human race? (I use this scenario because it's seemingly the first events of the bible, thus the oldest)

And no one is trying to prove anything about it, especially not to you. That's where the idea of faith comes in.

I'm not asking anyone to prove anything to me. This can't be done. I am simply asking how someone could base their life off of something that no one knows whether its true or not.

What do you trust? What or who do you have faith in?

I trust myself. To make the right decisions and to do what I have to, to lead a prosperous, healthy, fulfilled life. I trust my wife, to make the right decisions in my absence.

I have faith in my actions, that they are the right actions and it will lead me to accomplish my goals of leading a prosperous, healthy, fulfilled life
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 02:49 PM

Please retool your WG quote to show different type or a bolding for the words I did NOT say (and you did?) --

"I'm not missing the point because I am not trying to understand. I realize and understand everything you're saying. It is in fact considered an historic book. Anything that perceives to display the past is historic material. I'm just wondering how it can be true. How does anyone know? How do we know Adam & Eve really existed? The Garden of Eden? Abel's death by the hands of his angry brother Cain? The disobedience of God by Cain and the sin being introduced in the human race? (I use this scenario because it's seemingly the first events of the bible, thus the oldest)

I'm not asking anyone to prove anything to me. This can't be done. I am simply asking how someone could base their life off of something that no one knows whether its true or not."
    Networking Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 02:55 PM

I would but when I try to edit I get an error :D
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 03:00 PM
    I would but when I try to edit I get an error :D
    Maybe you need the "go" skin to do it ? ;)
    Networking Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 03:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Maybe you need the "go" skin to do it ? ;)
    Do you use the GO skin?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 03:05 PM

The OT is full of poetry, wisdom literature, parables, allegories, myths, and the story of the wanderings of a tribal nation that finally found a place to settle and what they did there. I would not call it a history book per se.

Even among Christians, there are differences of opinion as to whether there really was a Great Flood, a giant fish that swallowed Jonah, a giant named Goliath, a Garden of Eden. As in any stories of a nation, there are kernels of truth amidst the embellishments.
    Networking Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 03:07 PM

If things are questioned, why are lives based off having Faith in this?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 03:07 PM

The posters with [?] after their screen name are using GO.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 03:10 PM
    If things are questioned, why are lives based off having Faith in this?
    Faith in that? No, that's not true. I've been a Christian all my life and believe Adam and Eve were archetypes with their story giving us a much bigger and broader concept.
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 03:24 PM
    Do you use the GO skin?
    No I don't use it for anything. I have to go through it to get to the old skin at login and that's all. I sometimes check it to see if any changes have been made but to me "go" is a throwaway. Sometimes a good idea after being implemented isn't such a good idea. I believe "go" is one of them.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Feb 2, 2011, 03:26 PM
    Hi, I>T,

"I'm not asking anyone to prove anything to me. This can't be done. I am simply asking how someone could base their life on something that no one knows whether its true or not" Quote

Somebody asked Blaise Pascal the same question and he came up with something known as 'Pascal's Wager'.

Even though God's existence cannot be proven we should wager in such a fashion as though his existence is assured. Some people don't have the ability to believe but they should live their lives as though God does exist. If you live your life like as a believer and God actually does exist then you have everything to gain. If it turns out God doesn't exist then you have lost nothing.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 03:42 PM

TUT, I have to state this, and hope it makes sense.

If you believe just to cover your bases, just in case God does exist, don't you think that the God that Christians believe in will know that your heart isn't in it? If this Christian God truly does exist, then going through the paces, that won't cut it.

Personally, I've always believed that if a loving Christian God does exist, then living a good life, being a good person, is all that's needed. Church is man made, not God made. Religious beliefs are man made. Religious teachings, man made.

So, do you really think that a Christian God will turn people away from heaven because they didn't go to church every Sunday? I don't think so.

If there is a God, won't he see the truth? Won't the Christian that goes to church, preaches the word of God, pretends to be so good an kind, but cheats on his wife, beats his kids, go to hell? Won't the Atheist that donates money to charity, volunteers with the homeless, is kind to his fellow man, go to heaven?

If not, there's something seriously wrong with this system.
    Networking Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 04:11 PM

Very well said Alty.

I donate a % of my check to United Way, I am in the service and voulnteer for T4T's, 4-H, etc... I don't beat my wife, I don't cheat on my wife, etc... am I to be denied entry into Heaven?

I agree with Alty, everything you said shows me your actions are based of mere benefits. This shows me you're selfish and are only doing this for your own sake. This puts doubt behind motive, intention and your true feelings. If I can see this, then a proposed God would see this. Your intentions are hindered while mine are pure.

Feb 2, 2011, 05:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    TUT, I have to state this, and hope it makes sense.

If you believe just to cover your bases, just in case God does exist, don't you think that the God that Christians believe in will know that your heart isn't in it? If this Christian God truly does exist, then going through the paces, that won't cut it.

Personally, I've always believed that if a loving Christian God does exist, then living a good life, being a good person, is all that's needed. Church is man made, not God made. Religious beliefs are man made. Religious teachings, man made.

So, do you really think that a Christian God will turn people away from heaven because they didn't go to church every Sunday? I don't think so.

If there is a God, won't he see the truth? Won't the Christian that goes to church, preaches the word of God, pretends to be so good an kind, but cheats on his wife, beats his kids, go to hell? Won't the Atheist that donates money to charity, volunteers with the homeless, is kind to his fellow man, go to heaven?

If not, there's something seriously wrong with this system.

Hi Alty,

Yes, it makes perfect sense.

One cannot simply will himself/herself to believe in something they 'know' to be false. Besides, God probably doesn't want us to hedge our bets.

The argument is also suspect because it only puts forward two possibilities. God exists or God doesn't exist. God may turn out to be not sufficiently like us to say that he exists in the sense that we understand existence. There are other problems with the argument as well. I> T's quote reminded me of Pascal.

Regards

Tut

Feb 2, 2011, 05:11 PM
    Very well said Alty.

I donate a % of my check to United Way, I am in the service and voulnteer for T4T's, 4-H, etc... I don't beat my wife, I don't cheat on my wife, etc... am I to be denied entry into Heaven?
    [/B]
    Hi I>T,

It is my opinion (for what it is worth) that you won't be denied entry into heaven. If you are a good person regardless of your beliefs, religious or otherwise then you are on a pretty safe bet.

Regards

Tut

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My adult children despise me [ 24 Answers ]

Sounds pretty awful, and it feels worse. But in the last two years 3 of my 6 adult children have made it clear they want nothing to do with me, and have claimed horrific things I have done to them. Still sounds pretty clear that I am as accused, right? Well, I wasn't so bad when I cared for...

Why Does My Son Despise Me? [ 17 Answers ]

My 16 year old son absolutely despises me and I do not know why. We were very close and he was a happy child. Then at age 7 he no longer wanted me to hug him. We were still close, but he would not let me hug him. And it is still like that to this day. When he was 7 he was having problems so...

Bible & Astrology [ 18 Answers ]

Just before Jesus 2nd coming , there will be some-extraordinary planetery movements in the sky- Is bible acclame Astrology-

Science, God & the Bible [ 16 Answers ]

For those who want science to 'prove God' The Bible says god took the unseen things to make the things that are seen Science discovered atoms, molecules, DNA, etc... The Bible talks about underwater currents In the 1800's Matthew Fontaine Maury discovered underwater currents The Bible...

View more questions Search