Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chele1011 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2011, 02:08 PM
    How does it work if you have unemployment and receive a 1099
    I was lad off in May 2009 and this year (2010) I helped a friend with some work. He gave me a 1099. Will I have to pay back any unemployment benefits and not receive any more?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2011, 02:32 PM

If you collected unemployment, stated that you were unemployed and looking for work, when you actually DID work (either if it's only for a day or two) you have committed fraud. You could be fined, kept from collecting future benefits for an extended period PLUS pay back the benefits.

I would expect to be questioned closely - if you worked off the books (or so you thought) once, it is logical to think that maybe you worked off the books more than once.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you receive unemployment after being on workman's comp [ 0 Answers ]

I have been on workman's comp for the last 10 months. I know when I go back to work, I'll be laid off. Would I be eligible for unemployment benefits, since I haven't worked or had earned income?

Is temporary 1099 contract work allowed in PA while drawing unemployment if wages are [ 2 Answers ]

Is temporary 1099 contract work allowed in PA while drawing enemployment if wages are declared and no unemployment benefits are claimed on those weeks.

Can I receive unemployment while working as 1099 [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, here's the situation: I was laid off a few months ago and am currently collecting unemployment benefits. I have been offered 1099 work but there is no promise of additional or consistent work. My question is, can I collect 1099 money and not be responsible for claiming it with the...

My bank account closed, how will I receive my PA Unemployment benefits? [ 2 Answers ]

My benefits usually go through direct deposit into my checking account, but my bank closed my account due to inactivity. The direct deposit is supposed to be in my account tomorrow. The bank said the payment will get bounced back to PA Unemployment. Will they send me a paper check? Or will I...

Should she receive Unemployment [ 10 Answers ]

This story takes place in the state of PA. So my girlfriend was working at this temp agency for about 4-6 months on and off. One day her boss got into a fight with her and raised his hand at her and make her look like a fool in front of everyone talking about her medical history and all kinds of...

View more questions Search