Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Decked_Out Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2011, 12:50 PM
    Galvanized angle for the deck floor joist to keep the height low.
    Wanting to install a deck and use galvanized angle for the floor joist to keep the height low. The size of the deck is 14'x 15'. I plan on installing the angle up and bolting a 2x6 to the angle to nail decking boards. What would be the recommendation of angle iron? 2-1/2' x 4' x 1/4'?
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

Feb 2, 2011, 02:09 PM

How low you talking about ?

Why the angle iron ?

Why not just the 2 x 6 and put a extra support down the middle ?
    Decked_Out Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2011, 02:12 PM
    Comment on dannac's post
    14' is the length.
    Angle due to the low height clearance and wanting to avoid excessive flex.
    Unable to put a support on the underside due to height limitation.
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

Feb 3, 2011, 10:28 AM

Sorry... do not understand.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 3, 2011, 11:13 AM

I think you should tell us more about what you are trying to do. Trying to use angle iron to reinforce a wood joist is unconventional to say the least. If you have to pass any any kind of inspection, it will not pass for the very reason that it is unconventional. To pass you would have to have an engineering drawing.
    screamerdog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2011, 09:53 AM
    Hey Decked out, so how did you resolve the height issues? Curious because I'm doing the same thing... please email: [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Height of angle stop for toilet [ 3 Answers ]

Height of the angle stop on a toilet and the distance from the wall for the toilet ?

Floor joist [ 3 Answers ]

would sistering a 2x6 onto a old 2x6 be as strong as a 2x10 that should have been used? 24" on centers 14' span

Structural - Floor joist height reduction [ 2 Answers ]

Would it be possible to reduce a 3 foot length by half the height of one floor joist if it Was sistered with a 3/8" thick by 6 foot steel plate bolted through the joist at the two Unaltered ends? We're trying to find a few more inches of head room in our basement For use of a treadmill. Running...

How to keep second floor deck from dripping water onto first floor deck [ 5 Answers ]

We are planning to build a second floor deck over an existing deck. Will be 16 x 12 when finished. My question is this. We don't want the upper deck to allow water to drip onto the lower deck when raining. How can this be prevented? I want to use 5/4 decking on top, but don't see how we can do that...

Max height of ball launched at angle [ 1 Answers ]

A golfer hits a golf ball a horizontal distance of 301.5m. What is the max height the ball will reach if it is launched at an angle 25 degrees above the ground?:)

View more questions Search