Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cunfuzed Posts: 140, Reputation: 2

Feb 1, 2011, 10:03 AM
    Best way to clean wood
    What is the best way to clean wood. The wood cabinets in my kitchen have grime on them.. I gues from years for grease buildup. How can I remove this. Also the step banisters need to be cleaned. There is a lot of dust that I can't just wipe up. I have been trying since I moved there and its not working.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 1, 2011, 10:11 AM

At the library where I worked, we used Murphy's Oil Soap on all wood (oak) surfaces. I bought a bottle for myself for use at home. It does a good job on grease and finger smudges. It smells nice too.

Here are instructions for use --

"Dilute ¼ cup of Murphy® Oil Soap Original Formula per one gallon of warm water. For heavy cleaning, use ½ cup Murphy® Oil Soap in one gallon. Clean wood floors with well wrung-out mop and mop up any excess water. No rinsing needed."

http://www.colgate.com/MurphyOilSoap...iginal-formula
    cunfuzed Posts: 140, Reputation: 2

Feb 1, 2011, 10:20 AM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    Thanks!
    dimorphous Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2011, 05:44 PM
    If you are talking about cleaning the wood surfaces it depends what has been used to maintain them. A lot of maintenance products like Murphys and Endust and the like cause build up over a long period and make surfaces difficult to clean. A mild stripping agent can remove these cleaners, their build up and usually the dirt and grime that are in the multiple coats. Then a refresher can be used to get the wood looking new again. Steer away from products that contain oils and waxes as they build up over time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you use bleach water to clean laminate wood floors? [ 5 Answers ]

Can you use bleach and water to clean Mohawk laminate wood flooring? How diluted should it be if yes?

How to install wood fencing panels using existing wood fence posts [ 1 Answers ]

Posts are set at same distance required for panels

How to clean dark sticky spots on wood [ 2 Answers ]

I have an oak table about 18 years old. It has gotten sticky in spots with a grayish film that just swirls around when you try to clean it. We use this table for all meals and yes, we have used a wash cloth after diner to clean it off. In the past a cleaning person used to use lemon oil on it. It...

Clean a finished wood table [ 4 Answers ]

We have an OLD dining room set. The table top has "issues". It has a "film" on it from years of pledge. Also, there are some spots that are dull. I think its mahhgany? Its dark. What can I do to clean it up and restore a nice shine to it? Thanks!

How to clean wood floors [ 0 Answers ]

Just bought a house with floating wood floors. The floors are pretty dark and I am having trouble mopping them and them looking clean. What's the best product on the market for mopping wood floors? I tried sweeping with a Swiffer Sweeper (but would rather drag out my Rainbow with the brush...

View more questions Search