Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SIMBRIAL Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2011, 09:48 AM
    g1 visa us resident w8ben form
    Here I am with few more doubts.
    My husband (US citizen) and I (G1 Visa) purchased a property. My husband appears as Owner, and me as Co-Owner. I understood the a G1visa holder, no matter what, has to pay property taxes. But as the Owner is my husband, is he the only one entitled to paid them off? Or either one?
    Should I claim the property in my country (Italy)?
    After being charged Federal withhold taxes on the interests of my savings account, my bank sent me the W8ECI Form (I believe by mistake). I think they should send me the W8BEN Form.
    My next question is, which address should I report as Permanent Address? I have been in the USA for 13 years and always on different visas and always paid taxes in the USA till I got the G1 Visa in 2005 and thus filing in Italy. I do not have my own address in Italy (only my parents' where I used to live)and I 'm not a resident in Italy anymore as for Italian law if you live abroad for longer than 90 days, it is mandatory to cancel your residency in your home country.
    Based to the above, how should I proceed? It is look like fiscally I'm resident in Italy, and physically in the US? Still trying to figure this out... so much headache!
    Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2011, 02:20 PM
    It would seem to me that your G-1 visa fixes your residency in Italy until such time that you renouce the G-1 visa and assume permanent residence as the spouse of a U.S. citizen.

Since the G-1 visa gives you a significant tax exemption, I believe you should put up with the headaches.

Yes, Form w-8BEN is the correct for from the bank In my opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Resident or Non Resident for MA State? As F1 Visa/OPT - I Am Non Resident for Federal [ 3 Answers ]

I have spent all my days in MA, USA for the year 2008 and about 4 months in 2007. For federal, I agree that I am a non-resident alien with respect to my visa status (F1/OPT). But how about STATE TAX? Am I a resident of MA State?? I came to know that, VISA status willplay a factor for federal...

Please help with my W8BEN Form: 9a through 9e, 10, 11: India [ 6 Answers ]

Hello All, I am an Indian Citizen, arrived in US in August 2007 on an F-1 Visa, and was on OPT from January to October 2010. Since October 2010, I have been on an H1B visa(around 3 months of 2010 till present) Recently, I received a request from my Bank to fill out a W8BEN form and return it...

Does my wife also sign my w8ben form or does she file a separate form? [ 4 Answers ]

I want to cash in stocks I have with the united states and was told my wife and I need to file a w8ben form to avoid paying the tax, Do we sign the same form or do we both need to fill out the w8ben form separately?

W8BEN form, do I have to fill in the part II 9a? [ 1 Answers ]

I am indian citizen and a non-resident in US, and have been asked to fill in the W8Ben by my bank on the interest bearing account. I am not sure, whether I need to 9a on the W8Ben? Also, I have another question, Do I have to fill in a W8Ben form for only the interest bearing accounts or all...

Resident alien student, failed to file W8BEN form, how to claim treaty benefit [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, I am a student from mainland China. 2006 is my sixth year in US as a PhD student and I lost my non-resident status. I bought some stocks in 2006 and failed to file W8BEN form with the stock trading company. It turns out they withhold 28% of the transaction value. I am using Turbo tax...

View more questions Search