Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rmagowan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2011, 03:39 AM
    (40' bridge) 4 each 3/16" thich x 10" deep I-Beams. Strong enough?
    We just bought a house and are building a bridge across a creek. Presently there is what looks like a mobile home frame over the creek which the neighbors told us it once had lumber on it but apparently has rotted away. The frame is 40' foot long (from one footing to the other)and is made of 4 each 3/16" thick x 10" deep I-beams that are connected together with cross pieces of steel.
    Question: As far as the frame itself is concerned - how much weight would this frame be able to support including the lumber used for decking?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 1, 2011, 12:32 PM

I doubt if even a structural engineer can answer this. If its so old that the wood has rotted of it there must be plenty of rust which would weaking the steel. I would not bother with repairing it, sounds jury rigged to start with.
    lilpoppa Posts: 118, Reputation: 13

Mar 6, 2011, 03:37 PM
    I would say that would be an acceptable frame for a foot bridge or to take a riding mower over, that is totally inadaquate for any type of vhiecle traffic. If you are in a somewhat rural area make a trip to your local farm co-op or elevator they can more than likely direct you to a supplier of prefab bridge components, as many farmers have a need to get heavy farming equipment across creeks to access farm fields.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broken Heart - How do I stay strong even though I'm hurting & b strong to stop call him? [ 37 Answers ]

My Boyfriend and I were together for over 3++years. Every time we get into an argument or fight he wants to break up. I am so confused and broken. He doesn't seem to care about me. He would turn his phone off for days and I always call him back and he told me so many times that he doesn't want the...

40' L X 25' D ranch. For 12.5, 042 thick siding, what is a reasonable quoted price? [ 2 Answers ]

My house has aluminum siding. The side and back are in good condition. The front is dirty especially near the front door. Is there a way to make it look nice without redoing it to vinyl? I got an estimate for 14K to do a ranch type of house (12.5 and .042 thickness). I have a lot of windows and...

Wiring from 200a box to 100a "" at distance of 40' [ 3 Answers ]

I am renovating the interior of my garage and I would like to put in place a 100a box. I am to be wiring from the existing 200a box which is located 40'+ from this garage. The 200a box is in a single unit with the meter. I would like to know if I should run it underground (if so, what wire type,...

Psychological conflict: strong fear & strong love toward the same girl [ 6 Answers ]

My boyfriend has been experiencing some kind of psychological conflict for more than 1 year. Whenever he increases his love to me, his fear of losing me to another man increases. Last year, his psychological conflict made him misunderstand me a lot. For example, when he saw a tiny sign related...

View more questions Search