Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mweg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2003, 10:29 AM
    Cash down on a house
    Can you put $50,000 cash down on a house and simply say that the money "was a gift"? Will you need proof of this? If so, what kind of proof?
    BSN22 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2005, 06:56 PM
    Evidence of Gift
    I put only 6,000 down and had to show proof that this was a gift. My proof was in the form of a notarized letter from the person who gave the gift.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 24, 2005, 10:08 AM
    Mweg:

BSN22 is correct. Mortgage companies do not want to have you owe anyone else on your house "off the books". Expect any amount of $5,000 to be scrutinized thoroughly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paying Cash for a House.. [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, Group! I have poor credit due to events of a worker's comp injury. I have my settlement but cannot get a mortgage (except for very lousy 30-year 9% mortgage from a lender with 50% down) because of my poor credit, even though I have enough to buy the house outright which is $200,000. Should...

Want To Pay Cash [ 3 Answers ]

If I Was To Win A Sweepstake , And Won Let's Say 10 Million Dollars Cash , And I Seen My Dream House That Cost About $700,000.00 Dollars , Would It Be Wise To Pay Cash For It Or Get A Mortgage , Even If I Have Money Left Over To Invest In Other Things .

Paying Cash for a House.. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Group! I have poor credit due to events of a worker's comp injury. I have my settlement but cannot get a mortgage (except for very lousy 30-year 9% mortgage from a lender with 50% down) because of my poor credit, even though I have enough to buy the house outright which is $200,000. Should...

Cash vs. Accrual [ 2 Answers ]

Please explain the difference on how revenues are recorded into the books of a cash basis organization and how on an accrual based organization. Please explain the steps you would take to convert a cash-bash organization’s financial statements to accrual basis.

View more questions Search