Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Amy1968 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2007, 08:40 PM
    When will I get my period after going off the Depo Vera Shot ?
    Hi, My name is Amy. My next due date for my shot is Jan. 17th. But I am not getting it anymore due to my body feeling uncomfortable, I was gaining weight, always felt bloated and I read somewhere that if you have depression you shouldn't be on it, which I do and take Zoloft for it. I was only on Depo Vera for 4 months. So I was wondering when my periods will resume ?

Thank You to anyone who answers.

Amy
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2007, 02:37 AM
    Amy it could take weeks, months, even years depo has major effects on a woman's cycle and Im seriously quite concerned by the amount of women that aren't aware of the side affects and consequences of having the shot.
    I Was on it for 9 years plus and no one ever told me you shouldn't have it for more than 3 years or that your periods would take forever to return and it would make conceiving very very hard.

Jan 16, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Curlybenswife,
    Thank You for answering my question. I feel a lot better with knowing some answers. I can't believe how my doctor didn't tell me the side effects of the shot, I had to go to webmd and find out. I am glad I am off it though, the reason why I went on it was for bad cramps, but then I noticed I was gaining weight, I went from a size 10 to a size 12 and I don't eat that much to begin with.

Anyway Thanks again... now I can put my mind at ease of what to expect.

Amy
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2007, 08:50 AM
    I know what you mean Amy my friend was a size 8 and is now a 16 due to the jab.
    It sure has some very odd side effects that no one seems to tell you when you opt to take the shot or ask about it, there's a msn group for the depo and its very helpful just put it into Google and have a good look its just a shame there aren't more aware of its evils and its plus's
    kanicky73 Posts: 484, Reputation: 63

Jan 16, 2007, 09:10 AM
    I hear you on the whole weight gain thing! I have always been a smaller girl and never had any weight problems. I went on the depo prevera shot and went from a size 5 to a size 10! I was soooo pissed! I immediately went off it and tried everything to remove the added weight. My doctor told me that trying to lose weight put on by the shot is the hardest weight to lose. She wasn't kidding, I had to go on a very strict diet and exercise almost everyday! I am an active person and usually exercised 3 times a week. Thank god I finally lost the extra pounds but it took like 6 months!! I will never do that again.

Jan 16, 2007, 09:19 AM
    I do walk for 20 minutes a day and seem to lose weight quick. I don't eat much either and I watch what I eat as well, so I shouldn't have a problem. I was not happy when I noticed what was causing my weight gain.

Also it must be safe just to go off depo vera right ? I was talking with some friends Saturday and they said it was safe to do so. Sorry for all the questions. :)

Amy
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2007, 09:22 AM
    Of course its safe you can stop the jabs/shots any time you want to just make sure you contact your dr to talk over another contraceptive if needed.

Jan 16, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Thank You ! :)
    kim21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2012, 11:19 AM
    After one depo shot how long would take to get my period back to normal.
    woodburylady Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2012, 08:10 AM
    I took one shot in Oct 2011.. Still no period.. Help!!
    chelsea89 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2012, 01:03 PM
    I have been on the jab for almost 6 yrs, me and my husband want a baby now, I had my last injection on the 19th of December 2011 still nothing I have been told the pill helps get things back to normal I'm just going to wait for another 3 months then go to the doc for a little advise on what to next.
    DebK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2012, 09:04 PM
    I have been on depo for 15 years since birth of my last child. I stayed at my weight; 65kilos the entire time. I have since stopped in Jan 2011, and have just got my first period today. There were no side effects, going on or coming off. No weight gain and no cravings or mood swings whilst on it. I hope this helps and wish you all the best, for anyone who is considering going on it.
    jenniferfuchs12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2012, 06:17 PM
    OK I had the marina (iud) put in for 6 years then went on the depo for 8 months I have been off everything for 1 month and 1 week and still haven't had a peirod I have no clue what's going on. I also gained weight on the depo went from 145 to 160 in one month anyone have answers to why I haven't had a peirod yet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bleeding during sex... after depo shot [ 12 Answers ]

I have had bleeding during intercourse 2 times since going off depo provera, (which stopped my periods for over 2 years)... most of the time I don't bleed... but what could this mean? Is it a start of my periods return after depo? Or an infection non related to the drug? If you have taken this drug...

Depo Shot [ 18 Answers ]

I just started the depo shot about 5 days ago... so far all I have heard about it is horror stories... I am glad to report that so far I haven't had any side affects... only a little more sensitive... but then again it hasn't even been a week yet... I kind of just got on it with out asking any...

Depo shot & missed periods [ 19 Answers ]

I was on depo for over a year. I had my last shot in October 2005 & never returned for another because after going to the dr. for tonsillitis he informed that the depo shot was the reason I had been gaining weight so quickly & my sex drive was completely gone. That having been said I have been...

Have Question About Depo Vera [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all my name is Amy. I am 38 years old. My next depo vera shot is Jan. 17th. I have gained weight and gone up 2 pant sizes, I was a size 10 and now I am a size 12. Everything seems to be a little tight, so I am going off the depo shot. I have been on the shot for 4 months. Being on the shot I...

The depo birthcontrol shot [ 2 Answers ]

I've been on the depo shot for six months and I was suppose to go back sept 29,2006 for my third shot but I did not go on the 29th when my shot was due I had cramps in my lower stomach area and I was bleeding but not heavy I'm I trying to start my periode so soon or what.:eek:

View more questions Search