Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joe771 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2003, 03:29 PM
    Deducting a worthless stock
    A stock I bought about 3 years ago is now worthless. I can't sell, it has no value. How can I claim this loss? Can I simply use Schedule D? Or is there something else I have to do?
    drwls Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Jan 7, 2005, 09:41 PM
    Re: deducting a worthless stock
    I see it was over one year since this question was asked, so I assume you found an answer already.

Before you can use this tax break, the stock must be totally worthless. You should list your stock as being liquidated on the last calendar day of the year. Don't bother paying a broker to "sell" for zero dollars. Make sure you enter the correct purchase date and cost basis, and use the correct part of Schedule D so that it is treated as the appropriate long- or short-term capital loss.

If the stock was held in an IRA, you cannot deduct the loss.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT to H1B - Employer not deducting FICA [ 8 Answers ]

Hi ATE, The date on my opt is from May 2005 to May 2006. But meanwhile my H1B petition got approved starting 1st Nov 2005. But my employer who filed for my H1B was not deducting social security and medicare taxes till January. When I noticed, I asked him about this and he said it is a...

Tax credit for worthless stock inheritance [ 3 Answers ]

A worthless stock is part of my inheritance. Any tax value?

Deducting some closing costs from taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. Nine months ago we bought a house. We are first time home buyers. I am itemizing deductions. My question is can we claim TITLE INSURANCE, MUNICIPAL LIEN CERTIFICATE, RECORDING FEES, SURVEY OBTAIN/REVIEW SURVEY, RECORDING FEES DEED (which are part of closing costs) from our taxes. Thanks for...

Knowing if stock is worthless [ 3 Answers ]

We bought 10,000 shares of stock in the late 90's in a "startup" company through a Canadian broker (we are in U.S.) which, as best we can tell, went belly-up. The brokerage gave us the stock certificate a few years ago. It is not traded anywhere. I would like to write it off as worthless stock....

View more questions Search