Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prayin4justice Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2011, 01:27 PM
    What establishes nh state jurisdiction over ma for child support,obligor of support I
    Which state has jurisdiction over divorce/child support,divorce was tried and final in state of nh, after divorce finalized in nh,mother and child moved,and still reside in s.carolina since 2005,father/obligor moved to ma(out of financial nessesity,free room to live) so mother registered nh divorce decree in state of ma in 2007 when her alimony ended,because support was/is significantly higher in ma. father moved back to nh over 1 year ago,and is now an official,legal resident in state of nh.wouldnt state of nh have jurisdiction now,not ma?obligor/father has just sent a motion/petition(case is and has remained open in state of nh) to re-establish jurisdiction in nh,also,nh finall decree(no motions or any of the like have been filed or any other orders to the contrary in ma,pertaining to child support) has a standing order pertaining to end of child support which orders that child support shall terminate when child graduates high school,gets married,or joins military.no,ifs,ands,or buts.The question is, which state now has jurisdiction,ma or nh? It has always been based on where father/obligor lives. Thank you so much,I am praying for some fairness
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 31, 2011, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by prayin4justice View Post
    ...The question is, which state now has jurisdiction,ma or nh? ...
    New Hampshire, it appears to me.

The only effect of registering it in Massachusetts would have been facilitating enforcement. Now that the father is back in New Hampshire, the registration in Massachusetts doesn't have any significant consequence.
    prayin4justice Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2011, 01:47 PM
    What establishes nh state jurisdiction over ma for child support ?
    This question is specific to the two states of ma. And nh
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2011, 02:24 PM

I don't understand the question. In general the State where the person receiving support LIVES is the State that has jurisdiction. Is that what you are asking?

Need to know which party lives in which State and the circumstances - filed and then moved, ordered in one State and then moved to another - ?

Which State has jurisdiction... and why?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 31, 2011, 04:26 PM

Can you expand the question a little with some background ?
    Expert

Jan 31, 2011, 05:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Can you expand the question alittle with some background ?
    Look at the other thread.

Prayin4justice, we ask that you not repeat the same question in multiple threads.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 31, 2011, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Look at the other thread.

Prayin4justice, we ask that you not repeat the same question in multiple threads.
    Threads Merged !!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 31, 2011, 05:41 PM

Threads merged

Actually SC should have jurisdiction since that's where the child lives. Generally jurisdiction stays where the original decree was issued unless BOTH parties leave that jurisdiction. At that point where the child officially resides has jurisdiction.

Not sure why MA took jurisdicition at all.

If you have follow-up questions please use the Answer options at the bottom of the page, don't start a new thread.
    Expert

Jan 31, 2011, 06:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    ... Actually SC should have jurisdiction since that's where the child lives. ...
    You're right. I was incorrect. :o SupportGuidelines.com | Choice of Law in Interstate Child Support Modification Cases

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does California hold jurisdiction over child support for another state [ 5 Answers ]

My husband filed for modification in California on 11/5/08. The paperwork started and as soon as the ex-wife received a letter to fill out her financial information she hired an attorney 12/5/08 to say he was in arrears with the child support. She lives in Missouri with her daughter and the...

Back child support change jurisdiction [ 15 Answers ]

A back child support case (child passed away in 2003) but I was in prison for 10 years and support racked up. The Judge in the county seems prejudiced, can I change jurisdiction? He does not seem to understand there are NO children going without because I cannot pay the whole amount every month....

Jurisdiction on child support [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Florida and my ex-wife moved in Pennsylvania with our daugther. The divorce was finalized in Florida with no child support order 2 years ago. Can my ex-wife file for child support in Pennsylvania and call me to court in that state for child support?

Which state has jurisdiction over child support? [ 27 Answers ]

My husband lived in Colorado and his child in California. He got a divorce in Colorado Dec 6, 2003. When he filed for the divorce his exwife turned him into San Luis Obispo child support enforcement. He spoke little English at that time and did not realize he was supposed to go to court, so San...

Child Support for Disabled obligor. Oregon [ 6 Answers ]

What are the federal guide lines, for the obligor, when he is on ssdi (Disability), and his income is less than the federal poverty level?

View more questions Search