Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Larken85 Posts: 696, Reputation: 146

Jan 31, 2011, 12:01 PM
    Heating with Rocks...
    Hi, I have a rig for my contraption all drawn up and what not, Guess you could call this a red neck heater if you wanted to. My theory is to super heat rocks in a wood stove and use them in a long metal tube along with a squirrel cage style fan in the back of my car for heating.
    What I need to know is, what rock would best do the job. I need a rock that would retain heat for a long period and purduce a lot of heat while doing it... Any suggestions?
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Jan 31, 2011, 07:36 PM
    Your biggest problem when choosing a rock type is stability. Some rocks can crack, and even explode with some force, when heated. Granite is fairly stable. Insulation will also be a problem, you do not want the metal tub to touch anything and cause a fire. What happens if your in a head on collision? Hot rocks flying every where that's what.

Apr 2, 2011, 06:29 PM
    Comment on Appzalien's post
    Yeah we thought about that and thankfully decided not to emplore the use of that heater for very long. I tried it once or twice but rocks just do not hold heat well in michigan's winters. Thank you though, exploding rocks would have been good to know about had I actually put this system into practicle use.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2011, 06:42 PM

Ever had a rock in a bonfire? Same thing - no warning and rocks everywhere. What does the landlord say about your homemade heating system?

Apr 3, 2011, 04:36 PM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    My landlord is my father and he helped me build it lol. We were using his wood stove to heat the rocks so if they were to explode it probably would have been in there but the stove wasn't getting hot enough I think. It only reaches a max temp of about 170 degrees F. While it was warm enough to get them hot, it was not warm enough to get them red hot. It was a very dangerous contraption and we ended up scrapping the idea early in its use

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rocks! [ 7 Answers ]

Ok so I don't know if anyone can help me or not, but here goes. Last summer I bought a piece of land and built a house there. It's just about 2 acres. To put the well and septic in they pretty much dug up the whole front yard and the whole back yard. Leaving nothing but ROCKS! So with the front...

All about rocks. [ 1 Answers ]

What are changed rocks called?

Rocks for roofing [ 2 Answers ]

What type of foliated metamophic rock was once used as roofing matierial?

Rocks [ 1 Answers ]

Would iron-containing limestone make a good building stone for a monument?

On the rocks [ 21 Answers ]

How do you know if the person is worth waiting, when you know that on the other end... she has someone else too?

View more questions Search