Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tableclocks Posts: 432, Reputation: 2

Jan 31, 2011, 08:55 AM
    should a return cold air duct line be insulated
    a 8 x 30 inch x 20 ft long cold air return line, hung from the floor joices... will insulateing it help..
    it s in a non heated basement... tks... richard
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2011, 09:08 AM
    There is little benefit to insulating a return duct. It contains cold air to begin with so what you might save in minimal heat return would be well offset by the cost of the insulation. If this was a crawl space in a very cold environment it might pay but for a regular basement probably not. You should, however, consider sealing all of the joints in the return. You can get duct sealer mastic at many hardware stores. Brush it on the joints. I noticed a change in the house air flow, particularly in the summer-in Atlanta.
    tableclocks Posts: 432, Reputation: 2

Feb 1, 2011, 10:13 AM
    Tks
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2011, 10:32 AM
    Comment on tableclocks's post
    Please check "YES", if my answer was helpful! Thanks, Brian
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Feb 1, 2011, 03:22 PM

The greater the difference between the air temperatures inside and outside the duct, the greater value of insulation. If the duct is already made from fiberglas ductboard, it already has some insulating value. If it is uninsulated sheet metal and the basement is more than 20 degrees below the house temperature, insulation will make a difference. How about the supply ducts?
    bob4320 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2012, 02:53 PM
    Im building a 400 square foot apartment with two 8" heating duct feeding it.
    What size return line do I need?
    Rob

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cold Air Duct Return Blows Instead of Sucks [ 16 Answers ]

HI, I need your help. I have purchased a home that has a new Hi-Effency forced air furnace. The house has a 2 1/2 ft crawl space - no basement. The heating and return ducts are below under the floor boards of the house in the crawl space. The crawl space is insulated as are the ducts. My...

Can I replace 12x8 cold air return duct with 12 inch flex duct in my basement? [ 2 Answers ]

I need head room in my basement and want to take down the old cold air return metal duct work 12x 8 and re-route to the plenum with 12"flex duct. Will this be a problem with the furnace working properly? Please advise

Is the return air duct suppose to have suction to take hot air out [ 2 Answers ]

Is there suppose to be suction from the return air duct to take out hot air

Why is my heating return duct blowing cold air [ 2 Answers ]

I have hot air central heat and the return duct is blowing out cold air and at the same time sucking in the room air

Cold return air duct [ 2 Answers ]

Because the egress windows from the basement will not be large enough for the fresh air requirement, I have to install a ventilation return duct from outside. How do I go about doing this? My local Lowe's only appeared to have exhausts, but no intakes. It also needs to be 6", so I can't modify a...

View more questions Search