Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    matlalamrt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2011, 04:30 AM
    Dvd rw reads dvd's not cd's
    My laptop's dvd rw does not read cd's but when I place dvd's into the drive, it reads them just fine, what can I do to fix this?
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Jan 31, 2011, 10:28 AM
    The DVD and CD have different lasers so one could go or be dirty when the other is not. Also a DVD"s laser uses a much smaller dot system to fit more on the disk. And is therefore a more accurate reader. The first thing I would try is to purchase a DVD/CD lens cleaning disk (you should have one anyway) and follow its instructions to clean the drive lens. It's a good idea to also get some canned air at the same time. You can eject the burners tray and blow air in from the right side to circle back out the left. If you get the majority of dust out before the disk cleaning, you have a better chance at optimal lenses. Then report back as there could be other issues like corrupt drivers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CD's and DVD's don't start automatically [ 3 Answers ]

In the past, when I inserted a CD or DVD into the drive, I was always asked what I wanted to do, such as play DVD with Windows Media, Save to a Folder, and other options. These options always came up on my desktop in a box. For some reason, I no longer get this option. I liked that feature and...

How do I get my computer to accept my cd's and dvd's? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a gateway computer, My computer is saying please insert a disk when there is one in there, it won't accept any of my cd's or dvd's. Also is my disk drive supposed to say drive I? How do I get my computer to accept my cd's and dvd's, my computer is about a year and 3 months old, it started...

Blank cd's not read but dvd's work? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to upload music on my cd's, but the drive won't read blank disks. I thought it was totally gone but then I put in a dvd and it worked. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

CD Drive Only Reads Certain CD's. [ 8 Answers ]

My CD drive on my comp only reads certain CDs. I bought three CDs today, 2 of them were read by my drive, the third wasn't. I stick the cd in, and it just keeps spinning and spinning and spinning, with the green light flashing. Help!!

Cleaning dvd's and cd's [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to clean dvds and cds?

View more questions Search