Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pandora28 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jan 30, 2011, 03:57 PM
    401K non-resident alien worth it?
    Hi there,

I just joined a company that that gives me an automatic 3.5% to my 401K and, additionally, matches a 100% of my first 6% contribution.

I am planning to stay in the US for a couple of years and then cash out my 401K and bring it back to Spain to spend it (probably in a house). I know there is a 10%? Penalty for early withdrawal and then the taxes. I guess that if I opt for the Roth 401K this taxes part wouldn't apply, but I also read something about cashing it out once I'm back in Spain to avoid the taxes. Anyhow, I was wondering if still after these retentions it would be worthwhile contributing whatsoever. As you folks can see I'm a newbie and would appreciate any help!

Thanks in advance

Antonio

Check out some similar questions!

401k options for non-resident alien (cash out or rollover?) [ 5 Answers ]

I'm a 45 year old citizen and resident of Costa Rica. I have never been a US-resident, nor did I ever work in the US. Because I have never worked within the US, I do not have an official SSN. However, I worked for a US multinational for many years in various locations and participated in their...

401k withdrawal by non-resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

I am a non-resident alien aged 62, living in Europe and working for a US company. I have never lived in the US or paid tax there. Up until 2002 I was on the company's US payroll, and I have a 401k. Since then, I have been "localized" in France on a local payroll. I plan to retire in 2003. Will I...

401K Early Withdrawal & Non-resident Alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have been living in the US since 1996. I am married to a US Citizen. We plan to move to my home country, Czech Republic, in 6 years (2013). I have less than 100K in my 401K account now, however, with my current contributions, I will likely have around 230K at 2013 (depending on the...

Can I Jointly file tax return with spouse (resident alien & non resident alien) [ 1 Answers ]

I am in H1B worked in two different states in 2008 01Jan08 - 25Feb08 - Texas 05May08 - 13Aug08 - Texas 14Aug08 - 31Dec08- Illinois Note: march-April in India Spouse moved to US on 24 Oct 2008 in H1B got SSN in nov and doesn't have W2 for 2008 1. As per substantial presence test myself...

Tax on Early withdrawal from 401k by a non resident alien. [ 2 Answers ]

I am a citizen of India. Worked in US on H1 visa for two years and then 2006 & 2007 was in France studying for a degree in Business Management. In 2007 I withdrew $36000.00 to pay partly for my education expense from 401k account established while I was working in USA. I know the amount is...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.