Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gaireog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2011, 09:55 AM
    Is it good for the soil to recycle brigette ashes in the vegetable garden?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 30, 2011, 10:11 AM
    Briquettes?
    The answer generally is it's OK; not harmful anyway (unless of course they are unburned and still contain lighter fluid). But they are alkyline and will raise the pHs so you could do a soil test. If you don't want to, try sprinkling them (no more than 20 lbs per 1000 sq ft) around non acidic plants.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2011, 10:41 AM

Adding Coal Ashes to Soil - Complete Garden Guide

I found this site that you may find useful, on the front page there is a referance to Briquettes.

I assume ( bord na mona, brand name in ireland) briquettes, or perhaps from a local bog?. a garden centre could be a valuable source of information.
    gaireog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2011, 10:43 AM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    Thanks Joypulv, feel your info is right. Will try a small amount to begin with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recycle ashes from fireplace? [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering if I could recycle the ashes from my fireplace, in the garden, perhaps.

Putting garden in backyard, received soil test [ 0 Answers ]

Now it seems like I need to amend the soil. I am looking for suggestions on where to buy organic fertilizer. The test that came back said the soil had a pH of 8.1, and that for a vegetable garden I need an approximate ratio of 7-10-10 for nitrogen, phosphate, and potash. We intend to grow peas,...

How to start a vegetable garden [ 3 Answers ]

How to prepare soil for planting and what are the most versatile plants to grow during Spring and Summer? The planting area is small.

Soil hardening in my vegetable garden [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have been preparing my vegetable garden for planting my vegies, I have tilled the soil ,added black earth soil,and compost.still the soil seems to harden. Any suggestions on what I should do to help keep the soil softer? Thanks to all

Vegetable garden with underground electric lines in my yard [ 5 Answers ]

The electric supply to our house is buried underground from the pole to the house. There is a nice spot in the yard that gets full sun that I'd like to develop into a vegetable garden like tomatoes and salad greens etc. I know I can dig near the buried cable obviously but how far away from it...

View more questions Search