Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmpmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2011, 05:45 AM
    "Perfect" party "spoiled" by icing tip in guest-of-honor's piece of cake
    I planned a wonderful baby shower and all was "perfect" until the guest-of-honor found a large metal icing tip in her piece of cake. It wasn't baked in the cake - it had frosting in it so it must have been dropped between the layers when frosting. I'm wondering what's the best course of action. The cake was beautiful and no damage was done, but I want to acknowledge the problem to the bakery and let the guest-of-honor know I didn't dismiss the error.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 30, 2011, 06:46 AM
    I would tell the bakery the truth (no damage done, but concern about any other mistakes) and ask them what they want to do about it. If they waffle or ask you what you would like, have an answer ready. I would want a partial refund; I think I would want at least half. Local reputation is everything with bakeries.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2011, 06:49 AM

Hello m:

Write a letter to the bakery and send a copy to the guest of honor.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2011, 07:09 AM

And it will be a wonderful laugh in years to come, No party, no wedding, no event is ever really "perfect"
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jan 30, 2011, 07:39 AM

It is definitely something that the bakery needs to know about so that they can take extra care in the future. It is up to you to decide just how upset you are about the incident. If you feel that it was a minor oops. Treat it that way.

Be honest with them. Let them know how beautiful the cake was and that you appreciate the hard work put into it, but that there was an incident with an icing tip.

If you aren't angry or upset and no damage was done, you might handle the incident with a bit of humor by asking if they want the tip back (I hope you still have it in case they want proof.) The guest-of-honor will then know you listened to her concern and the bakery will be put on notice.

If you want compensation or they offer any, instead of money, you might look into cupcakes or cookies to welcome the little one home when she or he arrives.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jan 30, 2011, 08:06 AM
    Any reputable business would be grateful to know what happened with the cake.

That kind of carelessness could have happened on a birthday cake for six year olds, and a kid could have choked on it.

I would return the icing tip, the owner will know what to do with it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Estimate the contribution to profit of a standard 180-guest cocktail party if Chavez [ 0 Answers ]

Maria Chavez owns a catering company that serves food and beverages at parties and business functions. Chavez’s business is seasonal, with a heavy schedule during the summer months and holidays and a lighter schedule at other times. One of the major events Chavez’s customers request is a...

Suppose the half of a piece of wire is bent to construct a perfect square. [ 2 Answers ]

Suppose that half a piece of wire is bent to construct a perfect square. Express the area of the square as a function of the length of the original piece of wire.

Can a seller sell a piece of property to a third party [ 4 Answers ]

Hi: Can a seller sell a piece of property to a third party while the property is under contract for deed. The property is in Florida, and there is no provision in the contract for the seller to sell the property. Not merely just transferring the note, but actually transferring the property. ...

Cake for a party [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know a recipe for a sponge cake that I could use to make a huge cake for an engagement party?

View more questions Search