Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thierman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2011, 02:25 PM
    Electricity consumption
    I have a separate electric meter for my shop. No outlet, light, or any appliance is being used.The dial on the meter still turns. The only way to stop it is to shut off the electricity at the panel. How can I find out what the problem is?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 29, 2011, 02:39 PM

Turn off one breaker at a time. When meter stops all movement then look to see what is on that circuit. You will probably find something like a door bell transformer, transformer for a heater or thermostat or cordless phone.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2011, 03:00 PM

Is the shop part of your house or other stores/shops?

Turn off all breakers. Does the meter stop moving? If not get in touch with electric company and have them check meter.

If meter stops moving, turn on breakers one at a time. When meter starts moving , this will tell u which circuit is the culprit. May be as Harold stated in post #2

If shop is in your house, u may have something there wired to that panel box.

If in a store/shop complex, someone may be stealing your power.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Measuring the electricity consumption [ 1 Answers ]

How to measure the electricity consumed by every electric appliances in home?

Underage Consumption in TN [ 2 Answers ]

My 18 y/o got a ticket in Oct 2008 for underage drinking. He was on private property, and no one else who was drinking got a ticket, not even the 22 y/o who purchased and provided. My son appeared in the county court (anderson county TN) on the date and time the ticket stated. The court had NO...

Electricity Consumption [ 8 Answers ]

Hi everybody, I was on holidays and surprised to see our electricity bill. My wife told me that mostly our bills are double to the bills of our neighbours and relatives. We are getting bills of double the amount of many of our neighbours and relatives who are using the same number of lights and...

Electricity consumption by various electronics items [ 1 Answers ]

Dear expert, Please give me electricity consumption rate for various electronics household items per hour? For example , how much electricity a personal computer consumes in one hour? Same for TV,freeze, washing machine etc.

View more questions Search