Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vactech Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2011, 01:50 PM
    Is a electric baseboard heater circuit in series?
    My electric baseboard heater stopped working. So I thought the most quick thing to do was to replace the very old wall thermostat with a new one. I removed the old thermostat from the wall and tested the circuit with this model of probe seen here:http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/511b8YBt%2BzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg ,but the probe didn't light (show and indication of power).

If the old baseboard heater has failed would that be the reason my probe didn't indicate power?
    Is the probe not the right kind of probe?
    Would it be worth it to just replace the baseboard heater (sense I want to replace it with a better looking one anyway)?

Any help would be appreciated! I really can't afford an electricians rates right now.
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Jan 29, 2011, 02:12 PM

That tester would work to tell you if there is power to the tstat if both legs of the power came through the tstat box (double pole tstat). If the tstat is a single pole unit and it was hooked up in a switch loop configuration, then you wouldn't get voltage if the heat strip is open. Although you should get 120 volts to GROUND (test ONLY) on one of the wires if it is a single pole unit. You are going to have to get some kind of meter that can check continuity and do a test directly on the heat element.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 29, 2011, 02:16 PM

Greetings, FYI, I have asked that this thread be moved to the Electrical and Lighting forum.

Just so I can level set myself, did you verify that the electrical circuit that feeds the heaters is operating properly? If so, how did you check the circuit?

Do you own a multi meter, preferably a digital meter or can you purchase or borrow one?
    vactech Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2011, 07:24 AM
    Comment on EPMiller's post
    There were just 2 wires to connect in the wall tstat box. Is that a single pole?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 30, 2011, 08:01 AM

Good morning.

Please do not use the "Comment" button to respond to posts. Please use the "Answer this question" box.

Before you blame the Tstat, please verify that the circuit is operating correctly.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jan 31, 2011, 12:52 PM
    Yes. It is always best to check the source voltage first. That would be at the electric service box.
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Feb 1, 2011, 02:08 PM

If there are only 2 wires (plus ground) in the box and 2 terminals/pigtails on the tstat, it is a single pole unit. Your problem could also be caused by the limit tstat in the heat strip being open. However you would have to replace the strip anyway if that is the problem. Do NOT even think of bypassing it if that is the case. Just replace the unit. I've also seen things like this give problems just because a wire nut was installed incorrectly. You just have to go over everything. Start with the continuity check on the heat element and go from there.

In reference to the rest of the answers you got, I was assuming that you have already done the obvious breaker/power check.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baseboard heater wiring circuit [ 6 Answers ]

I just finished intaling a baseboard heater and I have a question that has been nagging me. The heater is on 240 circuit. So, I ran 12/2 and used the black and white to run my two hot wires as is common practice. Please excuse my ignorance on this matter, but this got me wondering. I have...

What circuit breaker do I use with a 2000w 240v marley baseboard heater? [ 1 Answers ]

I was given a 10-2 wire as it is only one unit directly to the panel and a 30/30 amp breaker. However, the unit only has a black and white wire and the cooper ground. After connecting the white, the black and the ground, I still have an empty 30amp and I am wondering if they gave me the wrong...

Replacing 3 wire thermostats for electric baseboard [ 0 Answers ]

We have not been able to replace thermostats with 3 wire type. Lowe's employee told us to buy 4 wire and cut off 1 and install. This is the second time we replaced thermostats in one year. The heat just keeps running. Is it possible we need to replace baseboards or it sounds like we have the...

Wiring baseboard heaters in series [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 baseboard heaters to wire. One going to the den and 1 in each bedroom. The bedrooms are back to back and the den is about 8 feet away at the end of the wall that splits the bedrooms. Can I run these all off one 220 breaker? Would I need to use 12/2, 10/2 or 8/2 wire to run them? Would it...

Two electric baseboard heaters on the same circuit [ 7 Answers ]

I’ve installed two electric baseboard heaters on the same circuit but I did no daisy-chain them. Instead I have my 12/2 coming from the powerbox (220 v - 20 amp breaker) to the thermostat and splitting in a ( Y ) with a set of wires going to baseboard A (1500 W) and a set going to baseboard B (750...

View more questions Search