Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    braxx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2007, 02:42 PM
    Buddhism
    I would like to know a little bit about buddhism. I am not a buddhist but someone left a very nice buddha statue and what appears to be two lion statues at my door. Also along with these they left other little statues of buddha in different poses and on the bottom of them it reads wealth, money, happiness, and protection. I am open to different cultures, but I do not know who or why someone would leave this at my door. I am curious behind the meaning of all this. I wasn't sure if this was meant in a good way or bad. Any knowledge of this would be appreciate. Thanks.
    dono2007 Posts: 29, Reputation: 4

Jan 15, 2007, 03:14 PM
    Buddhism is a culture that believes in peace and love, So don't worry the statues are good", lol, I don't know why someone would leave them at the front door but hey!
    This site should tell you what you need to know

Buddhism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jan 16, 2007, 12:13 AM
    Hi Braxx,
    I am intrigued by the fact that these were simply left on your doorstep, but I assure you, whoever left them likely had nothing but the best of intentions. You haven't perhaps recently moved into a new home, or started a new business or some such venture?
    It seems they are offering you some form of protection as well as wishes for health and prosperity.
    The lions you refer to are foo (fo, fu) dogs, also referred to as "lions of fo." These are traditional Asian temple guardians, often found outside Shinto (Japanese) as well as Buddhist temples, though they are probably most associated with China. They are often depicted with a ball under their paw, repesenting the Earth. They are most typically situated at the entryway of religious structures in order to ward off evil spirits.
    I am not particularly familiar with the smaller Buddhist statues, though given what is written on the bottom of them, they very much appear to resemble the familiar Taoist "Eight Immortals", some of which are commonly seen in places of business, as well as homes, and thus are likely Chinese in origin as well. Their intent is clear in that they wish to attract these four things into your life.
    In regard to the large Buddha, beyond more universally being a symbol of enlightened knowledge and compassion, different Buddhas have their own unique significance, depending primarily on the hand postures (mudras) and the implements held therein. If you could tell me anything more about such, I could likely tell you which Buddha it is and its particular symbolism.
    All in all though, nothing to worry about it appears. Just a random act of kindness, or someone looking out for your health, happiness and safety.
    Take care. :)
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Wow how lucky are you?

These are good statues! Good luck on them bringing good things to you and your family

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buddhism question [ 13 Answers ]

I have been studying the dharma, and have recently finished reading the tibetan book of the dead. They say if we are an enlightened individual we will be liberated, and are born no more. But most of us are born again either in a god like realm, or as a human again, or an animal, a hungry ghost or...

View more questions Search