Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snavely Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2011, 10:50 AM
    Outlet problem
    The tester indicates open ground at two of my outlets. When I test with a light probe it indicates good across the 2 receptical slots but not good (no light) between either slot and the ground. Is this enough to determine the problem?
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Jan 29, 2011, 02:04 PM

If this is a 120 volt circuit, a correctly wired outlet will not show any light when connected between the neutral slot and the ground. Neutral is supposed to be at ground potential.

However if your tester shows no ground on an outlet, that IS a problem. If these 2 outlets are on the same circuit and next to each other, I would suspect a disconnected ground in the first outlet box or in the outlet (or junction box) before it in the chain (from the breaker). If they are on different circuits or not next to each other on a particular circuit, then you are going to have to do the detective work twice. The only easy way to do it is open each box up and do a visual check. You may have to do continuity checks if a visual doesn't show anything.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 29, 2011, 02:21 PM

Just curious, but when you look at the receptacles are they 3 wire (two slots and one horseshoe hole per receptacle)?

If there are just the two slots, they you have an ungrounded receptacle or someone may have replaced an ungrounded receptacle with a grounded receptacle without an equipment grounding conductor.

What do you have in the device box?
    djm0730 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2011, 04:45 PM
    I had this problem with the "grounded" outlets in my house when I first bought it. It seemed as though the previous owner replaced the old ungrounded outlets at random with grounded outlets but did not actually ground the outlets. The ground wire was attached to the outlet box so that if you properly used an adapter when needed with the plate screw into the adapter it would work, but the next guy just put in a three prong outlet without attaching the ground. I also had a problem attaching the ground wire. The ground from the cable had been cut shorter than the hot or neutral because it was attached to the back of the box not the receptacle. The ground was also brittle so it may be a ggod idea to plan on pigtailing a new piece of ground wire to the existing to keep swearing to a minimum. Good Luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problem: I have a GFI outlet that when I press & hold the reset button [ 2 Answers ]

A yellow light comes on when I press and HOLD the reset button on my GFI. When I release it, there is no light. I have a voltage tester and I'm not getting any current to the wires. However, I accidentally touched the "white" and grounded myself and got a jolt. Why am I getting shocked and yet...

Easier way to convert regular (assume 110v outlet) to 3 flat prong 125v/250v outlet? [ 3 Answers ]

I bought an electric clothes dryer thinking it would work with the regular outlets in apt. However, and no wonder the guy left in a hurry and got angry when I asked to return it, get money back, the end of the dryer plug is 3 flat prongs, with a sticker that says it is 125v/250v. Without rewiring...

Wall switch controlling a outlet,want to use outlet to control ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

I Have a wall swich that currently controls a baseboard outlet. The Wall switch has a white,black, ground coming in from the top of the box-- and a white,black,red,ground coming in from the bottom of the box. The two blacks are tied together/two whites tied together... the red goes to the switch...

Converting regular 3 prong electrical outlet to dryer outlet [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought a stacking washer and dryer and now the electrical cord on the dryer won't reach down to the existing dryer outlet. Is there any way to convert a regular 3 prong outlet that is close enough into a dryer outlet?

Outside outlet problem [ 2 Answers ]

Hello anyone, This is the first time I've done this so I hope I explain this O K I have an outlet on the outside of my home ,actually there are two, One in the front and one in the back of the house. Whenever I plug anything like Christmas lights or the swimming pool filter into either of...

View more questions Search