Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dabriggs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2011, 07:51 AM
    Condo rights
    Can a condo association charge potential tenants $100.00 fee to conduct a background check? Isn't the condo "owner" supposed to be the one who does that? And does the association have the right to turn down a potential tenant?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2011, 09:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dabriggs View Post
    Can a condo association charge potential tenants $100.00 fee to conduct a background check? Isn't the condo "owner" supposed to be the one who does that? And does the association have the right to turn down a potential tenant?
    Hello d:

Yes. No. Yes.

I say that, because a condo association CAN legally do those things, but it must be authorized in their by-laws. Now, I don't know if THIS HOA is following the rules or making them up as they go along.

You can certainly ASK them to show you the rules. If they denied your application, and it looks like they did, and there's NO rule that authorizes them to charge you, you can sue them for your $100.

excon
    dabriggs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2011, 09:17 AM
    Comment on excon's post
    I've been told by a board member, the president & property assoc manager "dictate" what & what not members are allowed to do. The other board members just simply go along with these two because they don't know the laws or their rights!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2011, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dabriggs View Post
    I've been told by a board member, the president & property assoc manager "dictate" what & what not members are allowed to do.
    Hello again, d:

That's the way MOST HOA'S operate. They're little dictatorships run by a gestapo... You should be GLAD they turned you down...

excon
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 29, 2011, 10:39 AM

HOAs are governed by by-laws like Excon says. Those papers were given to you if/when you bought. I can't tell yet if your are the owner renting or if you're the renter. Once their by-laws and covenants are filed with the state they are also allowed to make rules and regulations. Demand a copy of the rule/reg they claim to be enforcing. I have seen them do what you describe as well as ban all rentals outright.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New york condo unit owners rights [ 3 Answers ]

Rights of condo owners and frivolous fines and allegations by harassing board member.

Condo Owners Rights For Trees [ 3 Answers ]

In my back yard, which is private access common area, there are 4 60 palm trees that were here before I purchased the unit and may well have been on the property before the development was done. I have been told that I had to remove these trees, at my expense, because some of the branches had...

View more questions Search