Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twwilli Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2007, 01:12 PM
    Tub/shower to shower only remodel
    We have a tub/shower setup in our master bath and would like to remove the tub and install a shower only. After removal of the tub, what would be the best way to install a shower base? This tub is on the second floor with access to the drain from the laundry room below. We would like to have the shower base take up the same square footage as the original tub.
    Thanks.
    MAINEIAC123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2007, 01:26 PM
    Taking out a fiberglass showe/tub in a mobil home. How do I install a new non fiberglass shower?
    EMERIL LAGASSE Posts: 101, Reputation: 4

Mar 17, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twwilli
    We have a tub/shower setup in our master bath and would like to remove the tub and install a shower only. After removal of the tub, what would be the best way to install a shower base? This tub is on the second floor with access to the drain from the laundry room below. We would like to have the shower base take up the same square footage as the original tub.
    Thanks.
    They sell a pan that fits a standard tub size BAM
    tomoc0726 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2008, 02:02 PM
    Can anyone tell me where these bases can be found or manufacturer? Need to quickly remodel bathroom for father being discharged from hospital and tub will no longer work. Seems the easiest way to do things is to just remove modular tub and then tile.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 27, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Best bet is a plumbing supply house (where the plumber goes to by supplies). Check yellow pages, plumbing supplies wholesale.
    Decorate Now Patterns Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Jan 27, 2008, 06:18 PM
    Saw some bathtub-size shower bases at Lowe's. They also had the surrounds. Check to see if they are made to line up with the existing drains or not, however.

You might also consider the tubs that have the 'doors' in the side. That way, you still have the tub for others in the household, but the person taking the shower can open up the 'door' and exit the tub without having to lift his/her leg over the edge of the tub. Try out the tub door to make sure that it will be easy to use.

And don't forget the grab bars. I discovered that the deluxe ones were about half the price they had listed on the shelf at Lowe's. You'll want one vertically on each side of the tub/shower, to stabilize the person as they exit the tub. And then others inside the tub/shower area. If you can't hit studs, then you'll also need the special wall anchors. Remember that the grab bars are rated by weight--so buy appropriately.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jan 27, 2008, 08:18 PM
    I would just go to Lowe's and get a new tub that the drain will match back up to. If your in a hurry id avoid doing and type of tile floor. For one it takes time and there is a lot of work to make it not leak.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remodel options needed: Replace bath with shower [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking at removing a standard fiberglass bathtub/shower enclosure and installing a tiled shower. What are my options for the base of the shower? I've seen one or two products online that are cultured marble bases with tile inserts that fit right into the old bathtub rough opening. They...

After a remodel shower drain is leaking [ 3 Answers ]

I remodelled my bathroom and now it appears that the shower drain is leaking. I remodelled the shower with a product called syn-mar. A base with shower walls and used a Danze faucet and drain. My first question is I didn't use plumbers putty, instead I used Sicone when installing the drain, Could...

Tub within a shower [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace a tub with a clawfoot tub. Want I want to do is create a "tub within a shower. " Build a tile shower stall(with correct waterproofing on the wall and waterproof shower pan) and place a clawfoot tub inside so I don't have to worry about a shower curtin staying inside the tub. My...

Tub and Shower Fauset [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, We have our pipes outside, and hot water is lukewarm in our bath during winter. We have One Handle Tub & Shower Faucet, which probably has anti-scolding and doesn’t allow turning the handle all over to make water hotter. Our pipes supposedly insolated. In order to get two handle faucet,...

Shower remodel [ 4 Answers ]

I'm updating a 50 year old bathroom. I intend to put in a 36x36 Florestone shower pan, with the walls done in Corian. A shower was formerly in place built from scratch by a tilesetter on a slab foundation. I've removed all tile, vertical mortar, and the mortar bed, leaving a drain connection...

View more questions Search