Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sharonsky Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Feb 1, 2011, 04:23 PM
    It's amazing that there is such an ability to profit since there seem to be a lot of people out there who price the job too low. I called our contact today to make sure that she got our bid. She wanted it emailed. She said they are reviewing them and she should know by the end of the week. I'll let you know what happens.

Thank you again for all of your help. We will have to think about whether we want to pursue more commercial cleaning or not. Residential can be tough and some of the customers can be so difficult. We just had to drop a customer who was constantly hanging over our shoulders while we cleaned and walked on the floor while we were cleaning it. I guess you don't get a lot of those problems in commercial.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Feb 1, 2011, 05:18 PM

Anything I can do I will. I'll be here, just call.

No we don't hon and we are not haggled over $5.00 either.

When you start getting commercial jobs that are higher volume (sq ft) the profits are damn good. Personally, unless I had to I wouldn't touch residential with a ten foot pole.

Feb 8, 2011, 02:16 PM
    I don't blame you. We've been getting so tired of the stuff we've had to put up with lately. It's harder than ever to get customers with this economy and the ones we have gotten have been the worst pains.

We haven't heard back from them yet. She said she thought they would know by the end of last week but either they haven't picked us or haven't picked anyone yet. I will probably wait until the end of the week and then give her a call. I don't want to pester her. I'm not sure how long is appropriate to wait to call back. I called one a few weeks ago after she didn't call the week she said she would and she kind of brushed me off saying she hadn't heard anything yet. That was almost 3 weeks ago and we still haven't heard from her.
    Business Expert

Feb 10, 2011, 05:59 PM

What price did you go with?

I would call her tomorrow Friday and tell her that you certainly do not want to bother her however you are very interested and just in case you were fortunate in receiving the contract you would like a little time to prepare; equipment, scheduling, etc.

Good luck, I wouldn't wait until Monday.

If per chance you didn't get it do an exit interview with her.

Tell her that of course you are disappointed however you always want to get better is it possible that she could give you a few minutes?

Can you tell me if there was anything that I could have done better?

Was I too high in my price?

Can you please tell me who received the contract, are they a local company?

Don't rush, give her time to respond to you. You will learn some things for your next bid hopefully.

Again good luck, let me know.

I have been out of town on business, I will be here tomorrow but gone again next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Stringer

Feb 17, 2011, 12:48 PM
    I called one of them today - the one with the clubhouse and model homes. She said the price of the company they went with was much lower than the price we gave them. She gave me quite a bit of information on her own and said she would be happy to tell me the prices that they got. I have to call her tomorrow because she's not at the office. She also volunteered the name of the other company who got the contract.

I'm still trying to get in touch with the other lady - the main topic of this thread. We went with $1895 for our price. It looks like we didn't get it though.

I'll let you know more after I talk to her. Thanks again for all the helpful advice. I think that calling people back is an excellent idea.
    Business Expert

Feb 17, 2011, 03:00 PM

Sorry that the results weren't exactly what you wanted Sharon but it is also a learning process... know your competitors.
    SSweetJane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2012, 12:59 AM
    Stringer,

You may be the answer to my prayer.I tripped on this site, your information is encouraging. Would you tell me of the site, book or person who determines the time required for a task? If the service requires specific handling, ie: blood, waste, environmental hazard,andsafety, what is the additional time given?

My interest relates to custodial cleaning of elementary schools. There is a formula being applied to our work. I don't know where it came from or why but it is ridiclous.

Would I look under county or state?? Something referring to timelines or am I using the incorrect wording?

Thank you
    Business Expert

Aug 1, 2012, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SSweetJane View Post
    Stringer,

You may be the answer to my prayer.I tripped on this site, your information is encouraging. Would you tell me of the site, book or person who determines the time required for a task? If the service requires specific handling, ie: blood, waste, enviromental hazard,andsafety, what is the additional time given?

My interest relates to custodial cleaning of elementary schools. There is a formula being applied to our work. I don't know where it came from or why but it is ridiclous.

Would I look under county or state ??? something referring to timelines or am I using the incorrect wording?

Thank you
    Hi SSweet,

There are many schedule tables out there few are realistic however but give you a sense of how much time it takes to complete different tasks for cleaning. Take a look at these sites:

BSCAI - Building Service Contractors Association International

How to Start a Cleaning Business or Janitorial Service

Also check out 'janitorial hazardous cleaning' on the internet. Such sites as government, trades, etc. will actually give you a 'hazardous communication program' to follow by accepted standards.

Good luck, please let me know if you have any success.

SSweet, you should actually start your own thread so that we can address your situation directly.

Come back an let me know,

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I want to bid on commercial cleaning job 284000 sq ft should I bid per sq or per hour [ 5 Answers ]

I have the oppurtunity to bid a pretty big commercial cleaning job 296 offices, 59 bath rooms15 kitchens 32 waiting areas. What is the best way to bid this job.

Commercial Cleaning Bid [ 2 Answers ]

Clean once a Month, Wax/Strip when needed provide own supplies/equipment One location 6,500 sq ft Other location 5,100 sq ft Same stores different locations Would like to get some of your opinions on what the cost should be around. For this type of situation.. thanks hope to hear of the...

How to bid on commercial cleaning in PA using sq ft [ 2 Answers ]

Hello my name is Pumpkin and I would like to know how much do I bid per sq ft for a commercial property that is 30,000 sq ft. services would be 7 days per week.

Commercial Office Bid-- [ 33 Answers ]

I am hoping to find some advice on here -- I have a janitorial business. Im pretty confident with the pricing of the homes and apartments, however, when I went to an apartment complex, they asked me to quote them also on their office area - which Im definitely not quite sure as to how to do that. ...

View more questions Search