Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xenos1227 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2011, 01:33 PM
    Vacation time
    I have an employee who was on vacation and during that time the office closed and hour early due to a storm. She now wants to be credited for that time.
    ChickyBaby Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Jan 28, 2011, 01:56 PM
    Sounds right to me.

Here are something to keep in mind... is she has a specific **** (lets say 8-5pm) and you closed at 4pm... well her vacation time is from 8am to 5pm.

If you are not sure... what does your hiring contract say about time off and early closing. Don't have one? Not good.

You can go the expensive route and ask a lawyer... but if you think she is a great employee, why piss her off over an hours pay?

Just pay the hour and then make everyone sign a paper that states when they take vacation time they are only paid based on the hours of operation each day.

:)

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 02:01 PM

Is she salardied, if yes, she does not get this time back.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 03:01 PM

A person's vacation time is based upon the average hours worked per week, month, etc. So I think that they should be paid for the entire week. Unless you have written Policy and Procedure's that state differently.

I agree with Chicky you need to implement a written policy however if none was in place I would pay them for the entire week. Why "shake the boat", the result could cost you much more in so many ways.

Stringer
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 29, 2011, 08:46 PM

There is no law that would require reimbursement. If the employee had vacation time and there was a closing there would be no requirement for reimbursement.
    Business Expert

Jan 29, 2011, 09:40 PM

My post was an opinion based upon the undesired results that may arise not only from this employee but with the other employees negative response in general and attitudes, certainly not good PR for only one hour's pay.

The Op just mentioned that she wants paid.

Stringer

Jan 30, 2011, 06:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    My post was an opinion based upon the undesired results that may arise not only from this employee but with the other employees negative response in general and attitudes, certainly not good PR for only one hour's pay.

The Op just mentioned that she wants paid.

Stringer
    Not disagreeing with you, but the way I read it, the employee WAS paid for the time they were on vacation. But because, the rest of the staff got an extra hour due to the early closing, this employee wants to credited with that hour.

In effect, the employee is asking to be paid twice for the time. I've never heard of such a thing.
    Business Expert

Jan 30, 2011, 10:07 AM

Scott no problem, how I read it; the regular staff went home and was not paid for that hour. However this worker was on vacation and wanted paid. I felt they should as they earned it.

To me it's an easy fix for only one hour.

Jan 30, 2011, 10:37 AM

We'll have to see if the OP comes back to clarify. But the way I read it was the employees got an extra hour off and the employee who was on vacation wants that hour too.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 30, 2011, 06:38 PM

Looks like the Op may never return. OP also said the employee wants CREDIT form the time so that too is unclear, we may never know. My answer was based not on why make waves, it was based on a good employer treats everyone fairly and evenly but does not allow emplyees to try to call the shots. I did HR for years and we had many situations like this. The rule we followed was if you worked on a particular day you would have the benefit of what took place on that day. If you did not work that day you do not receive the benefit of anything that happened that day. The last time I was faced with a situation like this I thought I'd blow a gasket. The whole office worked like dogs all day to help me finish a project, they worked hard, finished on time and saved my butt so I bought dinner for them that night. A guy who was off that day , when he returned, had the gall to ask me when I was buying him dinner. Hope you see my point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vacation time [ 1 Answers ]

I am working for ten months for a public hospital.do I have to complete a year to take vacation? I have already 78hours on my annual time!

Time for a vacation. [ 4 Answers ]

Billy Bob and Luther were talking one afternoon when Billy Bob tells Luther, "Ya know, I reckon I'm 'bout ready for a vacation. Only this year I'm gonna do it a little different. The last few years, I took your advice about where to go. Three years ago you said to go to Hawaii. I went to...

Vacation Time off [ 2 Answers ]

Can my Employer ask me what my time off is for when using Vacation time, or if I have to go to the Doctor, what is the Law regarding time off

Vacation time [ 1 Answers ]

We are going on vacation for almost three weeks. We have a deep well where we live. Do we need someone to flush our toilet or run water maybe every other day to keep the pump active. Also, should hot water be run to keep our water heater in good running conditon. Thank you. Wasn't sure if these...

Vacation time [ 5 Answers ]

I put my notice at my job and I'm going on vacation during that time of notice. Do I get paid for vacation and the remainder of the days that are left?

View more questions Search